Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 02:31:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9005 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8260 Members
Latest Member: Lovelymae39
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Project Development
| |-+  Feature Requests
| | |-+  Distribution Resource Analyzer (which DLLs?)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Distribution Resource Analyzer (which DLLs?)  (Read 4756 times)
Ruel Haldi

View Profile Email
« on: April 22, 2006, 09:34:06 pm »

The subject title is vague, because I don't know the correct words for what I'm trying to describe. I will explain:

Yesterday, I put together a distribution of a CrystalSpace application to send to a friend for testing on their computer. They didn't need to see the code, they were just going to run it and tell me what they see. All I needed to send was the compiled programs and the DLLs (for a Windows compile), and various other small things like vfs.cfg, the world file and textures.

Simple enough? Yes, but it ended up being 180 something meg. That's just silly. So, I started paring it down. Only about a third of the DLLs are actually used by my program. Unfortunately, the quickest way to figure out which ones was by trial and error (deleting one at a time, and seeing if the program still functions correctly). In the end, the program was down to 50 something meg (16 meg zipped). That's not half so bad.

What would be nice is a way to output a script at the end of a CrystalSpace program that tells you exactly which DLLs the program loaded. That way, when it's time to write a distribution copy (or commercial copy?), you don't have to resort to trial and error. Maybe there is already something like this, but I didn't see it in the documentation.
res
Develazyoper
CS Developer

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 11:21:27 pm »

Run your program with bugplug, press Ctrl+D Ctrl+Alt+L. This will print a list of all currently loaded plugins.
Ruel Haldi

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 02:24:36 pm »

Ah. Thank you!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: