Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 10:15:14 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9018 Posts in 2046 Topics by 9094 Members
Latest Member: Olafzjez
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  Help the noob of the noobs out of the ****!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Help the noob of the noobs out of the ****!  (Read 17758 times)
(Frobbo)

Email
« on: April 29, 2006, 02:33:36 pm »

Hi I am the member Frobbo,
first of all i didnt got the registation mail ( so it probably will say that i am a guest )

second...
It must be the noob of the noobs question, but I’m still gone ask it. (look at the right corner, there you can see how noob I am)

I have downloaded “Visual C++”, “Crystal Space Source and Documentation” and “CEL Source and Documentation (needs Crystal Space)”.  And now I really don’t know what to do, because I have red the introduction and the “Basics and Overview” in the online manuals, and I am still not any wiser. And cant complete the tutorials because I don’t know what the main program is ( Visual or CS) and if CS is the main program I cant find the thing ( you know, the usually coloured icon)  to start it.

I hope you understand what my question is now
If not, just ask

(If you see any wrong words or sentences don’t pay attention to it, I can’t help it. I am only Dutch!) 
Frobbo
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 06:37:42 pm »

I want to thank you all for your massive replies, i mean really THANKS
but i will say it again, if you dont understand the question you could always ask.

i will also ask another question, that maybe will get me some replies:
if you have Crystal Space and Visual C++, can you explain step by step the start of the tutorial (: http://www.crystalspace3d.org/docs/online/manual/cs_4.2.1.php#4.2.1 ) how to start everything and so?
even if you try to help me it will be a great thing...
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 07:24:56 pm »

I want to thank you all for your massive replies, i mean really THANKS
but i will say it again, if you dont understand the question you could always ask.

Please give us some time to reply. We're all people working in our free time on CS. Don't expect an answer in one or even two days. We're not getting paid for this you know.

i will also ask another question, that maybe will get me some replies:
if you have Crystal Space and Visual C++, can you explain step by step the start of the tutorial (: http://www.crystalspace3d.org/docs/online/manual/cs_4.2.1.php#4.2.1 ) how to start everything and so?
even if you try to help me it will be a great thing...

First you must compile Crystal Space itself. Did you do that? There is a chapter in the manual that talks on how to compile Crystal Space (the building chapter). Please start with that. That is the first step. If you already did that then tell me because that wasn't clear from your question.

Greetings,
Frobbo
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 08:53:02 am »

Jorrit thanks for your reply,
and sorry for mine second reply, i didnt want to be rude though. (it was meant like a joke)

now i have red the Directory Hierarchy a bit global, and with the requirements i think i have it all exept for the External Dependencies and the snapshot (and i dont know if i need them). im now with External Libraries and going to download zlib, libpng and libjpeg.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 08:53:56 am »

Jorrit thanks for your reply,
and sorry for mine second reply, i didnt want to be rude though. (it was meant like a joke)

now i have red the Directory Hierarchy a bit global, and with the requirements i think i have it all exept for the External Dependencies and the snapshot (and i dont know if i need them). im now with External Libraries and going to download zlib, libpng and libjpeg.

Ah no! That's not needed! You only need the cswinlibs package. Nothing more. The cswinlibs package contains all dependencies you need to compile CS on windows (libz, libpng, and so on).

Greetings,
Frobbo
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 08:42:35 am »

ok thanks again Jorrit, now i've downloaded and installed the cswinlibs package.
now i've red Platform Specific Instructions and i dont know anything they're saying with the Unix section so i just go read further with the WinCVS Tutorial, and that will take some time now.
Frobbo
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 11:56:19 am »

ok so now I am with the 2.4.2.1 Step 1: Getting the Software and i'm going to download Python, TCL and WinCVS Client.
and see how that goes.
Frobbo
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 07:20:59 pm »

ok i've downloaded Python TCL and WinCVS Client, but by Python and WinCVS Client you can chose of more then one things to download, and one of them is the installer and the source, so i've only download the installer...
if that's oke, then i'll go on.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 07:45:11 pm »

ok i've downloaded Python TCL and WinCVS Client, but by Python and WinCVS Client you can chose of more then one things to download, and one of them is the installer and the source, so i've only download the installer...
if that's oke, then i'll go on.

installer is fine.

Greetings,
Frobbo
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 04:58:27 pm »

thanks,
it looks like if done it all now, so i'll go on with the steps..
because with step 6, 7 and 8 it doesnt say anything i'll just go to 2.4.3 Microsoft Visual C++ 7, 7.1 or 8 and when I look at the list of programm's, if got them all, so now i'm going to try to compile Crystal Space.
i go to the map: `CS\mk\msvc\wkstypical.sln' and i'm a little bit stuck now.. cause i cant find the wkstypical file, and that's because in my map there are only files from "a" of app3ds2lev untill the "p" of plgxmltiny.
so i look with the Frequently Asked Questions and all the other questions are about when you already start up Crystal Space, so that isn't going to help me...
so to say it short: "im stuck again..."
Frobbo
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 09:09:13 am »

ow never mind, i've found a wkstypical file already.
Frobbo
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 02:33:19 pm »

ok so i've found the wkstypical file, but when i try to complete this step:

"After a while the compilation should finish. The signal for a successful build will be come in the form of the something similar to the following:   Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped"

it doesnt say Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped, but instead of that : Build 0 succeded, 176 failed, 12 up-to-date, 0 skipped...
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 05:58:59 am »

Can you tell me the FIRST errors you get from the build?

Greetings,
Frobbo
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 01:19:12 pm »

sure,
first I can chose in the mk map one of five msvc maps ( that are: msvc, msvc7, msvc8, msvc71 and msvcgen)
because the msvc, msvc8 and msvcgen doesnt have wkstypical file ( msvc and msvcgen not at all, and msvc8 some word document or something) so i choose msvc71 map, and in there i choose the wkstypical (that has the icon with two ++ and an 8 in the top right).
and in the program i did Build->Build Solution.
after a while it stopped, and this is the last thing of the long list:
"
levelwriter.cpp
c:\(mapname)\cs\include\csutil\win32\csosdefs.h(203) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windef.h': No such file or directory
Generating Code...
Build log was saved at "file://c:\(mapname)\CS\out\debug71\build\app3ds2lev\BuildLog.htm"
app3ds2lev - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 176 failed, 21 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

"
Frobbo
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 05:21:10 pm »

and this is the same on each file:
: fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windef.h': No such file or directory
Generating Code...
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: