Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 01:54:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
8990 Posts in 2037 Topics by 7597 Members
Latest Member: Drukareczka1989
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Project Development
| |-+  Google Summer of Code
| | |-+  Summer of Code Information
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Summer of Code Information  (Read 7183 times)
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2006, 05:48:17 am »

The Google Summer of Code (http://code.google.com/soc) application round has now finished. Google has made its final decision about the number of applications every organization gets and the ranking has been frozen. I can already tell you that Crystal Space got granted 7 applications (out of 65 submitted applications) and that's exactly the number we asked for. So we're very happy with that. Of course we're not that happy that we have to reject 58 other applications, some of which were really very good as well. If you didn't make it to the top in CS then I hope you are not too disappointed. It certainly is not an indication of lack of quality. We really had to make some hard decisions. And if you are not accepted then I still hope that we get a chance to see some of your coding abilities in Crystal Space in the near future anyway smiley

Congratulations to the seven students that got accepted! We are really looking forward to working with you on some very interesting projects. Let's hope it is a valuable learning experience for you.

I will not yet announce our seven students in public yet. I first want to doublecheck with every student that there are no conflicts (i.e. student getting accepted in multiple organizations) and such.

There are some guidelines that every SoC student will have to follow to work with us. Here is a list:
  • First I opened this forum which can be used for all discussions and questions related to the seven SoC projects.
  • I also strongly recommend that the seven students subscribe to the crystal-develop mailing list. That's also a place where a lot of development related discussion occurs.
  • It would also be great if you could visit IRC (#CrystalSpace channel on irc.freenode.net) regularly. IRC is a great place to get help soon and there are always people there available for help.
  • We will require every student to open a blog on the CS site (http://www.crystalspace3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-list_blogs.php). This blog should be used to post progress about the project itself. We want at least a weekly entry there. More is ok. Note! I mean one blog per student.
  • Every student will work in a seperate branch in SVN. We will make those branches soon. The student will have to merge back changes from main development branch into the SoC branch at least once a week (to avoid the two branches growing apart too much). Detailed instructions on this will follow soon.
  • We will soon start contacting the students and giving instructions on how to proceed. For some of you the first step will be to get comfortable with Crystal Space. After that the next step is working on a detailed plan on what to do for the project you are assigned too.
  • And finally we obviously will follow the rules put on us by Google. Check the student faq (http://code.google.com/soc/studentfaq.html) for all things that you need to do.

Here is a list of wiki pages per project. It is there that we will add more information about the project itself:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 05:57:27 am by jorrit » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: