Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 08:59:03 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9018 Posts in 2051 Topics by 8481 Members
Latest Member: Cex18145xu
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  Whta's about the performance of world geometrie
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Whta's about the performance of world geometrie  (Read 3561 times)
dodo502b

View Profile Email
« on: May 24, 2006, 10:36:59 am »

Hi,

can the crystalspace engine draw a world with 100.000 - 1.000.000 polygons? Is the engine optimized to render a lot of polygons in one pass? There is a plugin called thing.dll how manage the rendering. In thing.cpp i could see, that each polygon is touched once on every render pass. This is not good. Are there any other plugins, that sort all Polygons by Material and render them all at once?

Bye, dodo
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 10:42:47 am »

Hi,

can the crystalspace engine draw a world with 100.000 - 1.000.000 polygons? Is the engine optimized to render a lot of polygons in one pass? There is a plugin called thing.dll how manage the rendering. In thing.cpp i could see, that each polygon is touched once on every render pass. This is not good. Are there any other plugins, that sort all Polygons by Material and render them all at once?

Bye, dodo

First this will depend heavily on your hardware. Where did you see that every polygon is touched once on every render pass? I strongly doubt that is happening. Can you show us where you saw that?

Genmesh is the best mesh object to use in general.

Greetings,
dodo502b

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 05:01:34 pm »

Here you can follow the process to draw polygons from the thing.cpp plugin:

The used functions :
1) bool csThing::Draw (iRenderView *rview, iMovable *movable, csZBufMode zMode)
2) void csThing::DrawPolygonArray ( ... )
3) void csThing::DrawOnePolygon ( ... )?

There is also a fatser way with the flag CS_THING_FASTMESH. It will be activated if a thing has more than 500 polygons. I tested this by modifying the 3ds2lev programm. I merged all meshes with the same material to one mesh.

How can i use Genmesh?

I use 3ds2lev to convert 3ds files. How can i generate a world file with Genmesh objects/plugin.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 07:23:48 pm »

Here you can follow the process to draw polygons from the thing.cpp plugin:

The used functions :
1) bool csThing::Draw (iRenderView *rview, iMovable *movable, csZBufMode zMode)
2) void csThing::DrawPolygonArray ( ... )
3) void csThing::DrawOnePolygon ( ... )?

There is also a fatser way with the flag CS_THING_FASTMESH. It will be activated if a thing has more than 500 polygons. I tested this by modifying the 3ds2lev programm. I merged all meshes with the same material to one mesh.

How can i use Genmesh?

I use 3ds2lev to convert 3ds files. How can i generate a world file with Genmesh objects/plugin.

Um, what version of CS are you using? If your version still has that code then I think you are using 0.98. In that case please upgrade to latest pseudo-stable. 0.98 is VERY VERY old now.

Greetings,
dodo502b

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 09:18:41 am »

Yes - I use a very old version. But our software how use CS is also old. I can't remember the CS Version number, but the last entry in the history file is dated on 22-Jun-2003. I would love to use the latest pseudo stable version, but i don't want to spend to much time only to try if it could handle 20.000 Polys with an FPS of min. 24. Also i work with VC++ 6.0. And there is nor more support for this compiler, or i can't find the project files.

Whatever - thanks for you helping. I will use the latest version maybe in a few weeks - then I can see if it is worth to use it.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 09:20:38 am »

Yes - I use a very old version. But our software how use CS is also old. I can't remember the CS Version number, but the last entry in the history file is dated on 22-Jun-2003. I would love to use the latest pseudo stable version, but i don't want to spend to much time only to try if it could handle 20.000 Polys with an FPS of min. 24. Also i work with VC++ 6.0. And there is nor more support for this compiler, or i can't find the project files.

Whatever - thanks for you helping. I will use the latest version maybe in a few weeks - then I can see if it is worth to use it.

Well CS can easily handle a lot more then 20000 polygons with acceptable framerate (depending on hardware). You can download MSVC 8.0 for free. CS works fine with that.

Greetings,
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: