Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 05:22:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9008 Posts in 2046 Topics by 8329 Members
Latest Member: Rachelsantiago
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Projects
| |-+  Project Discussion
| | |-+  Get MS Visual Studio Express While It's Still FREE
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Get MS Visual Studio Express While It's Still FREE  (Read 3549 times)
yoshi

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2006, 08:06:22 am »

For those of you who don't know, Microsoft offers an express version of its C++ IDE for FREE (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/).  Too good to be true, you ask?  Well, yes and no.

From what I've heard from my friends who have tried it, it basically has everything you'd need to create a CS project.  The only thing it really doesn't support is the creating of MFC applications; MFC is just a bunch of libraries that make creating Windows apps a whole hell of a lot easier, which is irrelevant for CS games!

Anyway, the point is, my friend recently informed me that MS will start charging for Visual C++ Express edition (surprise surprise!) unless you download it before November 6th this year.  ("No, as long as you download Visual Studio Express on or before November 7th 2006, you will not have to pay for it.")

So, even though 50$ isn't THAT much (and in my opinion MUCH better than suffering and slaving over MSys, MinGW, jam, makefiles, etc.), if you want in on this (rather sweet) deal, then you better be quick about it.

Of course, Dev-C++ is always free, and the CS documentation have tuts on how to compile CS with that, so.. you know, whatever.  Just putting it out there Smiley
yoshi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 03:06:45 am »

Ok, just an update.  Apparently, Microsoft plans to keep MSVC++ Express free forever! 

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/apr06/04-19VSExpressFreePR.mspx

Huzzah!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: