Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 01:57:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9011 Posts in 2044 Topics by 8828 Members
Latest Member: Saikjanna
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Projects
| |-+  WIP Projects
| | |-+  archaeologic visualisation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: archaeologic visualisation  (Read 12787 times)
calli

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2005, 11:37:43 am »

Hello,

we worked some time in the past for the valencian government to visualize a archaeologic site together with a new planned (now in construction) museum. This was done almost completely in Blender and delivered as renderings (stills and movies) but also as realtime walkthrough (with some goodies like a display of ceiling heights or changeable designs etc.).

I have now ported this modell to CS with the help of the excellent blender2crystal converter. The modell has some MBs vertices and around 50MB of textures, so not a small testscene which proves the converter and CS as very matured system I guess.

The generating of the lightmaps took some GigaBytes of RAM and hours to render but the result is quite nice:

This is of course WIP and it seems hard at the moment to get a daylight scene because every light in the scene cast shadows and the radiosity solution seems to be broken at the moment.

Regards,
Carsten.
Tony

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 11:50:31 am »

Nice work, you know I saw on a Doom 3 forum on how to create day light, they use two lights. I'm sure it will work the same with CS since Doom 3 also cast shadows.
calli

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 01:45:53 pm »

Well the problem is how to light areas with full shadow. The ambient light just does not look good/real. So normally you place lamps which light the scene "radiosity" like. Not sure how to achieve this in CS.

Regards,
Carsten
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 07:31:54 pm »

Well, i think you can disable shadows on a per light basis (i can be wrong on this) and thus use the "place lights" solution..
Or you continue to work on other parts and wait for the new lighting system which is being worked on. It includes a full radiosity lightmap computer...

-M
calli

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 12:45:33 pm »

New Screenshots:

There are still some smoothing problems (see the column on the right)

Regards,
Carsten
juansolo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 10:44:08 pm »

hello, there are very nice screenshots, specially the interiors, and more specially the stairs, Im working with blender2crystal too, i' ve two question for you,
the renderloop is standar, isn't it?
you have proven with shadowed?
if it is thus, how many fps you have in each one?
if not,  how many in the standard?
thanks a lot, i hope to put my works here soon, but my english isn't very good, and there is very tedious to   be consulting the dictionary all the time, greetings.
calli

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 10:05:03 am »

Yes it is the standard renderloop. I think about 60fps constant but on a quite fast computer. On a 1GHz AMD with NvidiaGF4Ti it runs smooth, even quite interactive on a laptop@1.4GHz with a GF2go.

shadowed is much too slow and not looking very well if I remember my early tests.

Regards,
Carsten
tony

Email
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 01:32:46 am »

So, does this mean the shadow is going to be turn off ? Have you try the latest version "0.99" ?
Arianna

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 05:48:50 pm »

Hello,

I am interested in Virtual Archaeology since I did my thesis in the subject and I used Crystal Space + Planeshift for realizing my prototype.
My questions about your work are probably not that technical, but I hope I can ask them anyway smiley

What sort of interaction are you planning to have?
Is it yet another visualization project without "life" in it?

Which is the goal of it and which the targets?

For the moment this is it Wink
calli

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 03:16:59 pm »

@Ariana: Sorry did not got the message that there was a new Reply.

I guess its too late to answer your questions....

Interaction in this case is to walk trough the site and enjoy. In the Blender visualisation we hat a display of ceiling heights, could change items of the new building, change the head hight of the observer and so on.

Due to the interactivity, quite some errors in the original construction (2D CAD by the arcitects) were revealed. Saved lots of money...

Regards,
Carsten
Arianna

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 07:10:16 am »

It is not too late Wink

Here I am again: so, is the visualisation used by archaeologists or architects for having an idea of how it looked like?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: