Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 10:45:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9005 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8258 Members
Latest Member: Robinfallon
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  Documentation Blues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Documentation Blues  (Read 3240 times)
inbuninbu

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2006, 12:17:09 pm »

I'm sorry if this seems kind of general, but I've been messing with Crystal Space and CEL for a few days, and the lack of documentation (at the non-API level) has made me a bit frustrated. So I apologize if I sound a bit whiny...

I am using the latest pseudo-stable release of CS and CEL. None of the tutorials I have found have worked out of the box. When I was able to get them to compile and run at all, that was before they could do much of anything. This includes the tutorial that is in the manual that was installed with it. Each tutorial seems to be outdated (i.e. not run on psuedo-stable). I could use the stable version of CS, but there doesn't seem to be a CEL distribution usable with that.

The CEL manual  says that the source code for it's CEL tutorial is included in the source tarball, but it is not. When I tried the copy/paste method, there were all sorts of errors. Sometimes headers were missing, and a lot of the problems were too obscure for me to fix.

So, I'm kind of stuck on how to learn CS and CEL.

So, I guess, what I want to ask everyone else here is, what did you do to learn CEL? Is there some magic tutorial or manual somewhere that I haven't found? Should I ignore CEL, and focus on CS alone?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
ghaz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 12:50:59 pm »

I also had a lot of problems with tutorials that do not work. For some of them my version of CS was too new, for others it was too old.

Finally I decided to get the latest SVN versions of both CS and CEL. In the documentation that comes with both of them, there are tutorials that actually work. Where I previously struggled for days without getting anything to work, I was able to complete the first CEL tutorial in a couple of hours.

So I would advise you to get the latest versions. I did and haven't been disappointed yet.
inbuninbu

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 01:02:26 pm »

Thanks; that sounds like good advice!
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 01:05:32 pm »

The trick is to use the tutorials that come with the version of CS you are using. The tutorials on the web site are either for 0.98 or for latest svn and if you are using the pseudo-stable you don't want any of those. But all documentation and tutorials is included with CS itself so just point your browser to your own local copy instead.

Greetings,
inbuninbu

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 03:34:22 pm »

Thanks; I eventually realized that. However, when I tried that with pseudo-stable, the tutorial code still didn't work properly. It also said the source was available in the package, which it was not. I used find to be sure. I had to copy from the tutorial. And it definitely didn't work. So, I'm compiling the latest SVN for now.

Thanks, guys.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 05:20:07 pm »

Thanks; I eventually realized that. However, when I tried that with pseudo-stable, the tutorial code still didn't work properly. It also said the source was available in the package, which it was not. I used find to be sure. I had to copy from the tutorial. And it definitely didn't work. So, I'm compiling the latest SVN for now.

Thanks, guys.

The source IS available in the package. You have to look in CS/apps/tutorial. There you can find the source for the simple tutorials and also the mazing tutorial.

Greetings,
inbuninbu

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 05:49:37 pm »

Sorry if I didn't make it clear before, but I meant the CEL tutorial.

Anyway, I've compiled the latest svn of cs and cel, and the tutorial does compile. However, it doesn't run.

The error it gives is:

crystalspace.pluginmgr.loadplugin:
[40m[33m[1m  could not load plugin 'cel.physicallayer'

And yes, my environment varialbles are set correctly.

Any ideas?

As always, thanks for any help.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 07:31:57 pm »

Sorry if I didn't make it clear before, but I meant the CEL tutorial.

The CEL tutorial is also included with CEL. It is in apps/tutorial/walktut

Anyway, I've compiled the latest svn of cs and cel, and the tutorial does compile. However, it doesn't run.

The error it gives is:

crystalspace.pluginmgr.loadplugin:
[40m[33m[1m  could not load plugin 'cel.physicallayer'

And yes, my environment varialbles are set correctly.

Any ideas?

As always, thanks for any help.

Can you show me the contents of your environment variables? I want to double check. Also what OS and compiler are you using?

Greetings,
inbuninbu

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 08:57:30 am »

The CEL tutorial is also included with CEL. It is in apps/tutorial/walktut

Well, I just redownloaded pseudo-stable (http://crystalspace3d.org/cvs-pseudo-stable/cel-pseudo-stable-2006-01-27.tar.bz2).

Here's my console output:

Code:
inbuninbus-Computer:~ default$ bunzip2 cel-pseudo-stable-2006-01-27.tar.bz2
inbuninbus-Computer:~ default$ tar -xf cel-pseudo-stable-2006-01-27.tar
inbuninbus-Computer:~ default$ $ cd cel
inbuninbus-Computer:~/cel default$ $ cd apps
inbuninbus-Computer:~/cel/apps default$ ls
CVS             bootstrap       mechtest
Jamfile         celtest         nettest
inbuninbus-Computer:~/cel/apps default$ cd ..
inbuninbus-Computer:~/cel default$ find . -iname tutorial
inbuninbus-Computer:~/cel default$ find . -iname *walktut*

Can you show me the contents of your environment variables? I want to double check. Also what OS and compiler are you using?

Sure.

Code:
inbuninbus-Computer:~ default$ echo $CRYSTAL
/Library/CrystalSpace
inbuninbus-Computer:~ default$ echo $CEL
/Library/CEL
inbuninbus-Computer:~ default$

I'm using Mac OS 10.3.9 and gcc 3.3.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 09:01:07 am »

The CEL tutorial is more recent then latest pseudo-stable. So indeed you will not find that in pseudo-stable.

Greetings,
inbuninbu

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 05:25:20 pm »

Aha; that explains it. [Hits self on head]
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: