Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 02:13:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9032 Posts in 2046 Topics by 9295 Members
Latest Member: Marioibuch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  Crystal Space sound issues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Crystal Space sound issues  (Read 2852 times)
Philou
« on: May 26, 2005, 09:05:47 pm »

Hello there!
I have just started working on a project with Crystal Space, and the first thing I thought I needed was a decent music manager.
So here is the thing: it is a playlist-oriented manager, allowing for basic operations on playlists (creation from scratch or from .m3u files, play with basic options such as repeat,next track, previous track... abnd finally able to save playlists).

During the process (which is far from being done), I experienced some issues, so there are several questions:

1)To manage a playlist, one needs to know whether the sound file is being played. For sound streams there is an ActiveStream varaible, which is not usable through iSoundHandle. I created an accessor GetActiveStream() but this made me modify CS's source.
The problem is even more important with streamed sounds, as each renderer needs to know whether the sound is being played, but each renderer has a DIFFERENT name for the vaiable...
So my question is: would it be possible to include a modification inside CrystalSpace, allowing end users to be sure that their sound is being played? Î'm probably not the only one needing this... and also for static sound I think it would be a good idea to standardize the names...

2)The previous track function works very well, but the next track function does crap, even when it is set to be an empty function... I guess there must be a pointer issue somewhere... so my question is this:
How can we properly kill a SoundSource and then create a SoundSource from another sound data? I'm using a csArray to store my playlist...

3)I know it is not a free format, but I think that most users (including me) would be very happy if they had MP3 support... Does anyone have an old version of CS, from where I could get the MP3 loader which was included in the past?

Thanks in advance.
sinowBeat

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 09:20:59 pm »

Yes, mp3 support would be extremely helpful, as I always export my projects as mp3s. MP3's take up alot less space than wav's, and in most cases sound better, and it's just a pain to have to go and convert them all.

-=sB=-
res
Develazyoper
CS Developer

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 04:55:15 pm »

MP3 was removed at some point due possible patent issues. Anyhow, use ogg - as good as mp3 if not better.
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 12:00:44 pm »

Not only possible patent problems, but very much existing ones. Thomson who owns the patent wants $2500 per game title if you use mp3 in it, and for other software (such as CS itself) $50k one-time or $0.75 per copy with a minimum of $15k per year..

So if you want to pay, sure go ahead and fix it Wink
-M
schimmel

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 08:08:48 pm »

hola, thats much!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: