Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 01:23:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9018 Posts in 2051 Topics by 8483 Members
Latest Member: Arianagrand5
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  CS, CEL and network - Wheel Of Time
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CS, CEL and network - Wheel Of Time  (Read 3217 times)
mildred

View Profile Email
« on: October 03, 2006, 08:52:23 am »

Hi,

The Wheel Of Time is a book written by Robert Jordan that I love. A game with the same name was created by Legend using the Unreal Engine, but now, the official website has disapeared. What I want to do is to create a similar game, using the Wheel of Time world using Crystal Space.
I thought about using others framework, like Ogre for example but I don't want to  recreate everything ... ang Ogre provides only 3D rendering.

The problem is that I need network and as far as I know, there is no network plugin in CS. I thought about what I could do using CEL. For example, the characters are entities which behaviour layer would listen the network to move characters and so on. Do you think it is a good idea ?

Then, comes my other problem. In the original WoT game, (along with every game using the UnrealEngine I think) it is possible to extand the game (creating new game rules for example) easily. You create some code and you put it in your map. I think I could do that with CEL but the problem is the security of the written code. Because there is only XML and Python bindings, and because I think XML is a little limitating, untrusted python code would be able to be executed on the client.
And because Python does not provide a sandbox / restricted environment system, either you use PyPy, or chose another language and forbid python scripts to be downloaded. That's why I thought about using Lua and create a lua plugin.

But even after that, I have few ideas on how to integrate all this. And because creating a lia plugin might take time, I would like to begin creating something usable using Python. Can you help me to see better in that ?

Thanks
Mildred
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 08:54:25 am »

Hi,

The Wheel Of Time is a book written by Robert Jordan that I love. A game with the same name was created by Legend using the Unreal Engine, but now, the official website has disapeared. What I want to do is to create a similar game, using the Wheel of Time world using Crystal Space.
I thought about using others framework, like Ogre for example but I don't want to  recreate everything ... ang Ogre provides only 3D rendering.

The problem is that I need network and as far as I know, there is no network plugin in CS. I thought about what I could do using CEL. For example, the characters are entities which behaviour layer would listen the network to move characters and so on. Do you think it is a good idea ?

You can easily use CS together with HawkNL or RakNet.

Then, comes my other problem. In the original WoT game, (along with every game using the UnrealEngine I think) it is possible to extand the game (creating new game rules for example) easily. You create some code and you put it in your map. I think I could do that with CEL but the problem is the security of the written code. Because there is only XML and Python bindings, and because I think XML is a little limitating, untrusted python code would be able to be executed on the client.
And because Python does not provide a sandbox / restricted environment system, either you use PyPy, or chose another language and forbid python scripts to be downloaded. That's why I thought about using Lua and create a lua plugin.

But even after that, I have few ideas on how to integrate all this. And because creating a lia plugin might take time, I would like to begin creating something usable using Python. Can you help me to see better in that ?

Thanks
Mildred

There are some people interested in lua plugin for CS so perhaps soon we'll have one. Who knows smiley

Other then that I can't really help you on this subject.

Greetings,
paganwarrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 12:00:49 pm »

When anybody starts a lua plugin project, i can help into development.
mildred

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 05:14:35 pm »

I'll try to start the lua plugin but before, I must have a working c++ compiler Smiley
(I can't compile CS at the moment... some wierd error about a symbol that isn't found in the libstdc++)
paganwarrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 08:15:06 pm »

I'm using a summer's version -  a version from july  - and it works perfect under Suse Linux and Windows XP.  Mildred, I can help you - let"s go to create a lua plugin. I'll start anew topic for this.
mildred

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 10:27:28 pm »

I think it is a bug in ubuntu edgy. Not from Crystal Space which compiled fine before switching from dapper to edgy.

Lets continue the discussion to the new topic.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 10:29:34 pm by mildred » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: