Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 03:01:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9009 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8378 Members
Latest Member: Gwenlode
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  Cs FAQ for newbies
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cs FAQ for newbies  (Read 2314 times)
paganwarrior

View Profile Email
« on: October 17, 2006, 08:19:59 am »

The general CS FAQ for newbies

Q: What is Crystal Space?
A: Crystal Space is a free and open source  3d application framework. The heart of CS is the OpenGL renderer, but it provides solutions to playing sounds (even 3D), handling inputs (keyboard, mouse, joystick),  you can use many scripting langeuge, and
it has many other components, that you can use in your game. Crystal Space supports many platforms (Windows, Linux, MacOS),
so you can develop portable applications easily.

Q: There is more Crystal Space version in the Downloads section. What is good for me?
A: The old 0.98 version  is really old
- never use it. The new pseudostable
version
is much better - but I recommend you the      svn- version - this version contents the newest features.

Q: How can I install Crystal Space?
A: Yo have to compile from source. That means,you need a compiler (gcc or VisualC++) the CS sources and dependencies to do
this. There is a binary package for artist
with installer (for Windows only), and a CELStart
scripting enviroment (for Windows and Linux).

Q: I want to make an FPS/RTS/MMMORPG/racing/etc game. Crystal Space is good for me?    
A: Yes. Crystal Space is a general framework, you can develop with CS any type of game (and not just games). Some
examples:Crystal Core is an FPS,
Planeshift is an MMORPG, Bonez Adventures is a
rpg/aventure game. The only limit is your fantasy.

Q: I'm a non-programmer. Can I use Crystal Space without porgramming? 
A: Crystal Space is a software development kit (SDK), written in c++. You need coding in c++, or Python at least, when you
use CelStart. The CrystalBlend is a
Blender plugin to create CS and CEL based games.

Q: What is CEL?
A: The Crystal Entity Layer (CEL) is an entity handling system  for Crystal Space. With CEL you can develop games very easy
and fast - you can fid more information in the CEL manual

Q: How can I find tutorials for CS?
A: There is a few tutorial in the CS manuall - I know, you need more. The CS community site contents other tutorials - the site
need a great update, the materials  are very old. Other tutorials  work in progress.

Q: I have issues, when I try to compile CS. What can I do?
A: First, read the manual (RTFM) , maybe you find the solution. Second, search on this forum - many problem has been solved
on this site. Last: ask on this forum, or by mailing list.

Q: I succesfully compiled CS, but I can't compile my own aplication. What can I do?
A: Read the Creating an External project section in the manual.

Q: Why so hard to use Crystal Space?
A: CS is not a hard to use project - many people use it every day. Ok, it uses some strange concepts and solutions - but you
can learn it - is not so hard.   
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: