Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 04:53:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9018 Posts in 2051 Topics by 8481 Members
Latest Member: Cex18145xu
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Associate Projects
| |-+  CEL Discussion
| | |-+  Using the Linear Movement property class with more detailed colliders
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Using the Linear Movement property class with more detailed colliders  (Read 3547 times)

View Profile Email
« on: September 29, 2007, 10:31:25 pm »

Dear Mr. Tyberghein and CEL developers:
     I need to calculate collision detection for the main player entity and other object entities of a game and I need to know what property classes to use. Are the property classes: PcLinearMovement, PcCollisionDetection, PcActorMove, I assume these are meant to be used together, much more advanced than the base property classes: PcMovable, PcSolid? I want to use PcLinearMovement if it is more advanced, but I don't believe it can handle colliders of any shape other than a box. Is this so? If not, do you think it would be possible for me to modify PcLinearMovement to support more detailed colliders; I want the player to have a collider that is basicly human shaped. If the base property classes are not too far behind PcLinearMovement and it's relatives, then I will use PcSolid to make a collider from the player's mesh. Please shed some light on this subject for me.
                                                                                                                                                                     With regards,
                                                                                                                                            StewyP of Glass Tower Studios
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 09:59:50 am »

Pclinmove can indeed only handle box collision detection. Usually it is also better to do that because collision detection is currently not able to follow animation anyway. So even if you use a human shaped collider it will only be correct for one given animation frame (the one that happens to be the same as the collider shape). If the actor animates it will no longer match.

However, if you want you could modifyt pclinmove to support arbitrary colliders. However, you'll have to keep the box collider that is used for gravity. i.e. pclinmove actually uses two box colliders. One for gravity at the feet and one for moving around.

Greetings,

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 12:22:15 pm »

Dear Mr. Tyberghein:
     Thankyou for responding; I am now ready to setup the game for collision detection, exept that I need to know if PcLinearMovement supports jumping for a first-person/third-person game. I read in these forums that it was used for horizontal movement of entities, but can it be used to make the player jump realisticly over chasms and the like?
                                                                                                                                                              With regard,
                                                                                                                                                            Stuart B. Duff
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 12:34:27 pm »

Quote from:  link=topic=1423.msg6504#msg6504 date=1191237735
Dear Mr. Tyberghein:
     Thankyou for responding; I am now ready to setup the game for collision detection, exept that I need to know if PcLinearMovement supports jumping for a first-person/third-person game. I read in these forums that it was used for horizontal movement of entities, but can it be used to make the player jump realisticly over chasms and the like?
                                                                                                                                                              With regard,
                                                                                                                                                            Stuart B. Duff

Yes, jumping works fine.

Greetings,
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: