Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 11:57:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9026 Posts in 2046 Topics by 9157 Members
Latest Member: Wolqela
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  Making profit
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Making profit  (Read 2635 times)
Axesor

View Profile Email
« on: October 15, 2007, 12:42:19 pm »

Thanks for your response on my last question. Now here's a new one:
Can I make profit if I use Crystal Space for commercial use? Crystal Space looks very promising, and my team would like to be able to use it, but if it's not free, we won't be able to. Thanks again.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 12:45:51 pm »

Thanks for your response on my last question. Now here's a new one:
Can I make profit if I use Crystal Space for commercial use? Crystal Space looks very promising, and my team would like to be able to use it, but if it's not free, we won't be able to. Thanks again.

You can make a closed and commercial game using Crystal Space. That's ok. All modifications to Crystal Space must remain free however. But you can do with your own code whatever you wish.

Greetings,
Axesor

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 04:12:30 am »

So if we use CrystalSpace in our game, and use our own code working together, it will be fine. However, if we use CrystalSpace and, internally, add our own code; that would not be fine for commercial use. Am I correct?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 05:19:41 am »

So if we use CrystalSpace in our game, and use our own code working together, it will be fine. However, if we use CrystalSpace and, internally, add our own code; that would not be fine for commercial use. Am I correct?

If you add code internally to CS then you would have to release that code to the public under the LGPL license. However, even if you do that you can still release the end result of the game as a commercial game.

Greetings,
Axesor

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 11:22:47 am »

Then what do you mean by:
All modifications to Crystal Space must remain free however. But you can do with your own code whatever you wish.

By 'modifications', what do you mean if 'modifications', doesn't mean internally?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 11:39:50 am »

Then what do you mean by:
All modifications to Crystal Space must remain free however. But you can do with your own code whatever you wish.

By 'modifications', what do you mean if 'modifications', doesn't mean internally?

Modifications are everything you change or add to Crystal Space. i.e. when you modify Crystal Space itself as opposed to only your game.

Those modifications must be released free. But *only* the modifications. You can do modifications to Crystal Space for your game and still release a commercial game using that modified CS.

Greetings,
Axesor

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 09:59:42 pm »

Ah, I see now. Thank you a bunch. Just for you to know, we are going to use CrystalSpace. Expect to see some posts in the WIP when we get further.  Wink

~Stronghold
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: