Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 01:44:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9018 Posts in 2046 Topics by 9089 Members
Latest Member: Dariurm
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  CS vs Ogre3D, NebulaDevice
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: CS vs Ogre3D, NebulaDevice  (Read 66231 times)
paganwarrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2006, 03:31:43 pm »

I worked one year with Ogre. There was a real nightmare.

You need Vstudio when you want to compile the SDK from source under Windows. Another compilers are  (officialy) not supported.
Ogre is slow, buggy, totally useless under Linux. Ogre is a DirectX engine in the reaity.
Has Ogre a good input driver? No.
Has Ogre a good configuration handler? No.
The resource handling in Ogre is a joke. No subdirectory handling, only resource groups.
Has Ogre sound handling plugin? No.
Has Ogre a useful documentation? No.
Has Ogre garbage collector? No.
Has Ogre any entity layer? No.

Has Ogre more feature, then CS? No.
It's faster, then CS?
Sometimes a little bit. But in a real situation, when you render the scene, loopbacking music, make effects,  playing sounds and handling the entity system, running the game AI, in this case the difference is zero.

tony

Email
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2006, 11:02:52 am »

Calm down, yes you are right, Ogre is just a rendering engine, But CS isn't meant to be a game engine either. Nebula is a game engine so is Cube. But in my opinion Nebula seems to be a suped up version of the quake 2 engine.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2006, 11:04:22 am »

Calm down, yes you are right, Ogre is just a rendering engine, But CS isn't meant to be a game engine either. Nebula is a game engine so is Cube. But in my opinion Nebula seems to be a suped up version of the quake 2 engine.

CS is a 3D application framework.
CEL is a game engine though (on top of CS).

Greetings,
CatVir

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2006, 05:15:08 pm »

Also you *can* compile CS in one big exe if you want. CS has that option.
O rly? Cheesy You mean one big DLL, right? How do I do that? I don't like having hundreds of DLL/SO files as well Smiley)
BTW. Is there any way to turn on anti-aliased rendering option? I couldn't find it, and I don't think it's too hard to implement, if it isn't there already. If not, do You have this feature in your todo list?

~CatVir
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2006, 06:14:28 pm »

Also you *can* compile CS in one big exe if you want. CS has that option.
O rly? Cheesy You mean one big DLL, right? How do I do that? I don't like having hundreds of DLL/SO files as well Smiley)
BTW. Is there any way to turn on anti-aliased rendering option? I couldn't find it, and I don't think it's too hard to implement, if it isn't there already. If not, do You have this feature in your todo list?

~CatVir

I mean one big exe (together with your app).

Anti-aliased rendering can be turned on in your display properties (OS specific) or else in data/config/r3dopengl.cfg (MultiSamples setting).

Note that it is not CS doing that but the OpenGL system.

Greetings,
CatVir

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2006, 07:40:26 pm »

Note that it is not CS doing that but the OpenGL system.
Yeah I knew that.

Thanks for fast answer! Wink
SunSailor

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2006, 02:04:29 pm »

I worked one year with Ogre. There was a real nightmare.
...and it seems, you never recovered from that. Maybe it's time to wake up and take a look at it's continous development wink

Has Ogre a good input driver? No.
Actually, there are three, the built in system, the SDL-Input and the new OIS.

The resource handling in Ogre is a joke. No subdirectory handling, only resource groups.
Absolutly nonsense. Ogre has a very sophisticated resource handling. You have resource groups, and every resource group presents an entry point to the selected backend system. In the case of the file system, there shurly is subdirectory support - I'm using it heavily. It's very easy to integrate other resource types into the system, yesterday I finished to integrate Java into it - I now can load all java classes through Ogres resource system. Therefore you definitly need subdirectories wink. Maybe you havn't understood the concept?

Has Ogre a good configuration handler? No.
Has Ogre sound handling plugin? No.
Ogre is a rendering engine only.

Has Ogre a useful documentation? No.
It has. Beside the great Doxygen documentation, there is a very sufficient collection of tutorials, snippets etc. in the wiki. The forum is one of the most useful and active one I've ever seen in an open source project.

Sorry, don't want to argue *against* CS, I think it's a great project (even while I like the design of Ogre more), but it's very unsatisfiying, if such lies and rumors are spread here. There are several commercial projects finished and in the making, which are using Ogre. Don't think this happend by accident...
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2006, 02:08:52 pm »

Don't confuse the views of one poster here with the views of the CS devs. I personally don't know Ogre well enough to have any kind of view, so I refrain from making any comparisons and qualifications of Ogre.

Greetingds,
paganwarrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2006, 11:23:26 am »

Maybe my informations outdated, but...

I finded only one option to input handling in Ogre, the built in system. I said, it's not a good input handling system. It"s my experience, I hope, the newest Ogre versions have better built in input system.

My team members said, there is no subdiretory handling in Ogre. Ecxuse me, when this is not true.

Documentation. Ogre tutorlals are nice, but  tutorials !=manual. Crystal Space has a great and detailed  manual.   It's a fact. Ogre has a quick overview and some reference, this is the official manual.

Finally, we try to compare the apple with the pear. Ogre is a rendering engine, CS is a 3d app framework.  I have no time to implement my own entity handling, my own config handling, my own sound handling, etc. Simply I have not enough time  to plan/implement/test/debug this missing things.

[SOM]Roberto

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2006, 10:01:28 pm »

Always will be who prefer or hate: CS, Ogre or some engines. Now, I prefer the CS engine because I working on my game with CS very well. If somebody not prefer free engines, buy payed engine or write private engine. Wink
Jack McSlay

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2006, 11:35:31 am »

since it's on the topic of comparison, can anyone tell me if other engines are easily compilable under other systems or I'm better off to stick with CS if I want to go Linux?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 11:37:02 am by Jack McSlay » Logged
genjix

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2007, 04:41:07 pm »

Ogre is NOT a game engine. It's a rendering engine.

Crystalspace is also NOT a game engine, that just happens to be one of it's uses.

Seriously.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: