Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 11:27:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
8990 Posts in 2037 Topics by 7592 Members
Latest Member: Bessiogood
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Associate Projects
| |-+  Crystal Core Discussion
| | |-+  Crystal Core?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Crystal Core?  (Read 8186 times)
Cheomesh

View Profile Email
« on: November 01, 2007, 02:01:15 am »

I started asking about CrystalSpace 3d over at GameDev.net, and someone said that it's a great renderer, but only with CrystalCore does it become a true 'engine' for me to use.  I'm intending to make an RTS in the future using your engine, and was wondering how I make use of CrystalCore?  I downloaded the CrystalSpace into, compiled the walking demo, and have read into some of the manual.  Is CC another package I need to download, or what?

M.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 06:54:24 am »

I started asking about CrystalSpace 3d over at GameDev.net, and someone said that it's a great renderer, but only with CrystalCore does it become a true 'engine' for me to use.  I'm intending to make an RTS in the future using your engine, and was wondering how I make use of CrystalCore?  I downloaded the CrystalSpace into, compiled the walking demo, and have read into some of the manual.  Is CC another package I need to download, or what?

M.

That is wrong. Crystal Core is not a game. It doesn't make CS a game engine. If you want to use a full game engine then you should use Crystal Space and Crystal Entity Layer (or CELstart). Both together form a full game engine.

So just download Crystal Space (as you already did) and then Crystal Entity Layer.

Greetings,
Cheomesh

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 03:54:45 am »

Thanks for sorting it out.  I thought it sounded odd when I checked the main site and realized it has very little about CrystalCore.

Without CEL, what does Crystal Core do?  It it purely a renderer?  I thought it had other associated libraries that handled non-graphical things.

M.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 06:07:06 am »

Thanks for sorting it out.  I thought it sounded odd when I checked the main site and realized it has very little about CrystalCore.

Without CEL, what does Crystal Core do?  It it purely a renderer?  I thought it had other associated libraries that handled non-graphical things.

M.

I suppose you mean 'Crystal Space' instead of 'Crystal Core'. 'Crystal Core' is a game. 'Crystal Space' is a 3D engine. That means it handles rendering, visibility culling, collision detection, physics, skeletal animation, particle systems, landscape, ...

Greetings,
Cheomesh

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 06:34:03 pm »

Oops, yes I did mean CrystalSpace.

Thanks for the clear up.

By the way, what DOES crystal core do?  I didn't see an explanation on that...

M.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 07:03:51 pm »

Oops, yes I did mean CrystalSpace.

Thanks for the clear up.

By the way, what DOES crystal core do?  I didn't see an explanation on that...

M.

It doesn't do anything. It is a game. See http://crystalcore.crystalspace3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-view_articles.php

Greetings,
Cheomesh

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 07:39:03 pm »

Thanks.  Article doesn't work but that clears that up.

M.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: