Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 08:23:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9005 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8338 Members
Latest Member: Msarlscarl03
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  CS as Game Engine Development Env on Win - Step by Step?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CS as Game Engine Development Env on Win - Step by Step?  (Read 3730 times)

View Profile Email
« on: November 04, 2007, 09:24:19 pm »

OK, I've been a programmer and analyst since 1983, I've done some Open Source work in my day, and even created a visual novel using renpy (results can be seen at bklovr.com). So I don't think I'm coming to CS totally cold.

However, I'll be darned if I can figure out if I need CS and CEL and CELStart, or just some of those. I see where to DL the CELStart (and have done so), but is there a precompiled CS and CEL, or do I have to build those on my machine - and if I do so, what free C++ or C# compiler is there that will work on windows to do so. Do I need Blender, or is that a nice to have? Perhaps I should get GtkRadiant, or maybe not?

Guess I'm really looking for a step by step that says "If you want to build a game with CS, here's what you need to get, and here's how you set things up". Is there such a tutorial that I've just missed?

Thanks in advance for helping a total CS newbie...
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 09:36:50 pm »

CELstart is a precompiled CS+CEL combined. However if you want you can also compile it on your own. At www.mingw.org you can download a free C++ compiler. Blender is useful for creating models but it is optional.

Greetings,

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 01:50:20 am »

CELstart is a precompiled CS+CEL combined.

Believe it or not, that isn't particularly clear, but I appreciate learning that.

Blender is useful for creating models but it is optional.

So what would you recommend for a tutorial showing how to use CELstart to write a game as opposed to using it to play one?

Thanks again,
Ewan
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 08:29:52 am »

Quote from:  link=topic=1488.msg6734#msg6734 date=1194223820

Believe it or not, that isn't particularly clear, but I appreciate learning that.

What is not clear about it?

So what would you recommend for a tutorial showing how to use CELstart to write a game as opposed to using it to play one?

Thanks again,
Ewan

On the blender2crystal site (http://b2cs.delcorp.org/index.php/Main_Page) you can find tutorials on that. Basically you work mostly in Blender and then using some text editor you make XML or python scripts for the game logic.

Greetings,

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 07:01:18 pm »

Quote from:  link=topic=1488.msg6734#msg6734 date=1194223820

What is not clear about it?

Here's the description of CELStart from the front page:
CELstart is a CEL-based environment for self-contained game packages, allowing easy game creation via scripting, thereby making the development process easier for those less proficient with C++. The package nature of games also make distribution simple.

Nothing in that tells me that it has precompiled versions of CS and CEL combined. It "implies" that CEL and possibly CS are used as part of the setup. I "personally" think something like the following would be clearer:
CELstart is designed to allow easy game creation via scripting by packaging pre-compiled versions of CEL and CS for the game developer. This package-based setup also makes distribution of CELstart games simpler.

Again, just my .02 worth on the subject...

On the blender2crystal site (http://b2cs.delcorp.org/index.php/Main_Page) you can find tutorials on that. Basically you work mostly in Blender and then using some text editor you make XML or python scripts for the game logic.

OK, I'll take a look at that. Thanks again for the time and help! Hopefully the game I produce will make the effort worthwhile (design and script is an exploration game set in a summer camp for disabled kids).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: