Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 03:45:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9011 Posts in 2044 Topics by 8828 Members
Latest Member: Saikjanna
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Projects
| |-+  Project Discussion
| | |-+  Crystal Space as a psychology research tool?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Crystal Space as a psychology research tool?  (Read 4434 times)
onemonkey

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 07, 2007, 04:08:34 pm »

Hi folks,

I am a psychologist investigating how children and adults form categories and classify things. To test young children I want to create some very simple sorting and exploration games. I'd like to see if they can learn that some things are from one category and some are from another and how they generalise  (e.g. can they learn that Tall spiky things are good and short blobby things are bad and what will they do when they find a tall blobby thing or a short spiky thing.)   I thought that using a game engine would be a good way to make this task interesting enough to engage children whilst still allowing me to collect lots of data (absolute reaction times, mouse telemetry, order of exploration etc.)

Although I've done a lot of programming over the years, I am by no means an expert and I haven't the time or inclination to become one. So unless there is a relatively easy way to achieve this I will go back to our very dull normally psychology methods of sequential 2-d images and a forced choice test. CS looks promising for a project of this kind but I have a few questions:

Is Crystal Space is a suitable environment for a project like this?  (in the broadest possible terms)

How far can I get just using the scripting layer? (e.g. If I wanted to write all keypresses, mouse clicks and some object data to a log file would I have to add code at the CS level to do this?)

How much time realistically is going to take to get a prototype working? (e.g. which demo should I start with?) and from there how reusable is that work? Assume for the sake of your calculations that I have 6 years software development experience but that I quit because I hated working with overly complex API's  wink

Finally, how friendly and helpful are the community. I am sure I will have lots of stupid questions. Will I get answers or just abuse?

Thanks in Advance,
Caspar Addyman

Centre for Brain & Cognitive Development
Department of Psychology
Birkbeck
London WC1E 7HX
http://www.cbcd.bbk.ac.uk/people/students/caspar
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 04:11:17 pm »

I think that in your case it would be best to use CELstart. This is a precompiled executable for windows (or linux) that contains Crystal Space and CEL. Using CELstart you can make full 3D games or other 3D simulations with only using Python and/or XML scripts. This is rather easy to do. You can find more information about CELstart at these locations:

http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/CELstart
http://b2cs.delcorp.org/index.php/Main_Page

And of course feel free to ask more questions here.

Greetings,
onemonkey

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 04:26:42 pm »

thanks for the speedy response.

I will start by taking a look at CEL.

btw, i am on MacOS/X so i guess i have to install CS + CEL ?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 04:38:39 pm by onemonkey » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: