Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 02:51:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9010 Posts in 2044 Topics by 8776 Members
Latest Member: Nowelc
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  A little help needed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A little help needed  (Read 4380 times)
Bilal

View Profile Email
« on: November 12, 2007, 05:27:30 pm »

Hi!!!

I am doing a project of "vehicle simulator"
and the project supervisor cant stop asking questions...

Now I do know something about crystal space but still couldnt answer these questions...

I want to know:

1. Can I use crystal space with multiple screen display, that is, by creating 3 viewports using 3 differnet cameras?
2. Can I use the bullet's car demo (with a lot of additions and changes of course) to create a complete vehicle simulator software? Are there any copyright issues (my project is not commercial) ? Or technical issues related with it..
3. Can I generate a good car sound with crystal space? How hard will it be?
4. Can networking create a problem with crystal space? because I have heard that sometimes there are issues using extra libraries with gaming engines.
5. My crystal space application hangs if I am running through visual studio (by debugging my project) when I am using "castle" map, Is that a problem with my pc or something else. And also, when I was building crystal space, my computer shut down without any warning 3 times (this problem never occured before and after building cs)

If anybody knows anything that can be helpful, please reply.
I'll be more than grateful.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 06:44:28 am by Bilal » Logged
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 09:21:40 am »

Hi!!!

I am doing a project of "vehicle simulator"
and the project supervisor cant stop asking questions...

Now I do know something about crystal space but still couldnt answer these questions...

I want to know:

1. Can I use crystal space with multiple screen display, that is, by creating 3 viewports using 3 differnet cameras?

Yes and no. You can use multiple cameras but it is not very easy right now to allow these camera to render on different windows. What you can do is render the different cameras on different parts of the same window.

2. Can I use the bullet's car demo (with a lot of additions and changes of course) to create a complete vehicle simulator software? Are there any copyright issues (my project is not commercial) ? Or technical issues related with it..

Bullet car demo? Bullet is not part of CS. What has this question to do with Crystal Space?

3. Can I generate a good car sound with crystal space? How hard will it be?

CS cannot generate sounds. It can only play sounds that you make using something else. So if you can find a good wav or ogg file with a car sound then CS can play that.

4. Can networking create a problem with crystal space? because I have heard that sometimes there are issues using extra libraries with gaming engines.

Why would there be a problem? Many projects using CS also link with additional networking libraries. There is no problem at all here.

5. My crystal space application hangs if I am running through visual studio (by debugging my project) when I am using "castle" map, Is that a problem with my pc or something else. And also, when I was building crystal space, my computer shut down without any warning 3 times (this problem never occured before and after building cs)

It looks as if you have a overheating problem with your cpu. If your computer shuts down during building that is most often caused by the cpu going too hot and shutting down because of that. Perhaps check if there is a problem with your fan or something.

Greetings,
Bilal

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 11:37:13 am »

Bullet car demo? Bullet is not part of CS. What has this question to do with Crystal Space?

Well about bullet....
I read it (on another website) that CS has bullet integrated with it....I also saw bullet libraries in my CS folder.....
Isn't it so???

If not then please tell me what do I have to do to embed physics??
Use ODE or does CS has its own physics libraries?

BTW thanx for the answers..
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 11:48:29 am »

Both bullet and ODE are external libraries which are independend of CS. CS 1.2 supports ODE and the latest CS which is in development supports both ODE and Bullet.

Greetings,
Bilal

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 11:59:05 am »

Sorry....but can you elaborate a little about this....

How hard it is to render 3D objects using CS while applying physics on those objects using bullet?

and also if i can get an opinion....
Is it really better for me to use bullet for vehicle simulator or using some other technique better?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 12:00:04 pm »

It is very easy to use physics together with CS. You just use the iDynamics API (part of CS) and then you can switch bullet or ode plugin.

I don't know about vehicle physics so can't answer that.

Question,
Bilal

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 12:03:10 pm »

Thats great....

One more thing....Is there a tutorial or something that i can use to understand more about this.?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 12:37:56 pm »

In CS dir: apps/tutorial/phystut

Greetings,
Bilal

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 01:09:24 pm »

Thanx a million
Bilal

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 06:33:00 pm »

I was looking at the physics demo....but I realized it could not create jointed objects using bullet

and when I looked in detail, some of methods in bullet.cpp were commented out...( and were not working of course)

So what do I do with this?

If anybody knows...please tell me...

jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 06:36:41 pm »

The bullet plugin in CS is currently in development. So for now it is probably best to use ODE.

Greetings,
Bilal

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 06:54:38 pm »

Okays...
Thanx
Bilal

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 09:01:58 am »

In the physics demo...ODE does not seem to include friction, because sphere keeps rolling even if it is not moving....
Is that problem within ODE or can I remove this error

Or what if I want to use bullet....
Can't I just download bullet and use it along crystal space as separate entity?

jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 09:02:59 am »

ODE supports friction.

But yes, you can use bullet as a standalone library without using the CS bindings for it. It is not that hard really.

Greetings,
Bilal

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 03:16:02 pm »

Thanx....
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: