Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 10:30:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9005 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8220 Members
Latest Member: Igymatta
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  Subforums for other languages ¿?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Subforums for other languages ¿?  (Read 8315 times)
festor
« on: November 14, 2007, 04:28:27 pm »

Do you think the idea?

My English is not very good (although I do efforts to understand everything) as talking to other people in my same language would help.

I speak Spanish if you are interested xD

Ah! And if they can put the forum (the SMF) in other languages, because it would be good: D (eg Spanish)
res
Develazyoper
CS Developer

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 06:18:20 pm »

English is still the lowest common denominator, across CS users and developers - there might be someone knowing the solution to a problem you have, but you may never know, since that person doesn't speak Spanish. Also, the CS community is already comparatively small, so a further partitioning doesn't seem beneficial...
festor
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 07:47:54 am »

I just say one thing, if you want to grow something that helps known, and one of the best ways to help is that the user can understand in their own language.

A community that uses a single language does not help to grow
bookeater2

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 04:18:01 pm »

maybe the IRC / chat listed on the community page of this site is worth a try.
festor
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 10:33:40 pm »

I am not talking about developers, I am speaking of ordinary users who do not know English and who need help of the Crystal Space forum.
Freetimecoder

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 11:51:49 pm »

I think English is one of the basic abilities for a programmer.

Even if they (like me) cannot write it perfectly.
festor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 12:09:16 am »

I think English is one of the basic abilities for a programmer.

Even if they (like me) cannot write it perfectly.

Sorry, you can not understand me? I said for ordinary users not for advance programmers of Crystal Space.

I can understand that English is more importan for a programmer but I believe that a international forum (where there are more than one language) is more helpful for all no-english speakers.

A person who has a problem can be expressed much better in their language in a foreign language.

Not everyone has an excellent leve of English.

On the network, Crystal Space is not very famous for its documentation and the help received in the event of problems. So I think this would help improve the support.

Also, the CS community is already comparatively small, so a further partitioning doesn't seem beneficial...

Do not you have stopped to think that perhaps the community is small because it is restricted to just one language?

I never speak to divide or partition the community, but to extend it to help other people who are not fluent in English can learn much Crystal Space and participate.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 02:50:08 am by Festor » Logged
Darek

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 02:47:02 pm »

Maybe it's worth to try and see how it goes.
Freetimecoder

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 04:16:57 pm »

Yes, maybe I didn't understand.

But it will be difficult to have different subforums with other languages, because there are many other languages except Englisch Wink

greetings
festor
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 01:06:15 am »

Yes, maybe I didn't understand.

But it will be difficult to have different subforums with other languages, because there are many other languages except Englisch Wink

greetings

Of course, maybe it will be difficult but I believe that the advantages would be many.

Regarding the number of languages I think it would be easy to know. I do not know very well the origin of the members of the community but I think that putting a forum for Spanish, French, German, Russian and some other like Chinese or Japanese would cover most of the users.

Yes.... but there are many subforums, no? That is why I propose this:

There will be no subforums in other languages without having a moderator available, ok?

And for now, at least, I offer myself as moderator of the hypothetical Spanish forum if no one else is interested (If anyone knows more about Crystal Space and know Spanish then I abstaining) . I am not a genius in Crystal Space, but I put a lot of enthusiasm and desire. I also have experience with the SMF forums.
Kriss

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 07:15:02 pm »

I have a couple of questions/propositions then:
1.) Instead of subforums it will be better to have one subforum where it's possible to ask questions in languages other than English.

2.) If someone don't know English (manual is written in this language) and not a programmer (this way he/she can understand everything right from source code) then they'll have a long way of understanding CS ahead, I can only wish them luck, they'll definitely need it.
BTW I'm from Russia.
festor
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 03:33:46 pm »

I have a couple of questions/propositions then:
1.) Instead of subforums it will be better to have one subforum where it's possible to ask questions in languages other than English.

A global subforum "international" it is a good idea but I think it would lead to confusion.

2.) If someone don't know English (manual is written in this language) and not a programmer (this way he/she can understand everything right from source code) then they'll have a long way of understanding CS ahead, I can only wish them luck, they'll definitely need it.
BTW I'm from Russia.

It is one thing to know English well enough to understand the source code or a manual and quite another is to express a problem or solution in English.

I think subforums in other languages would greatly help to people who want to start in the use of Crystal Space. For example, I have some doubts and problems which are difficult to express in English.

Provide support in other languages would greatly help to encourage more people to use Crystal Space as the community became larger and more active.

For instance: Some time ago, I had started translating wiki Crystal Space and soon I would start with the documentation and guides.

http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/Main_Page-es
http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/Download-es
http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/Media-es
http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/Community-es

And more...

And a forum in Spanish (my language) would help me a lot.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 03:48:29 pm by Festor » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: