Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 03:34:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9032 Posts in 2046 Topics by 9297 Members
Latest Member: Adrihjapa
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  Is it legal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Is it legal?  (Read 4523 times)
Beasty

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2005, 05:09:46 am »

Are we allowed to use WorldCraft/Hammer Editor for our own projects? Isn't it the property of Valve and you are only allowed to use it for the creation of Half-Life modifications? I think it's a great idea that Crystal Space 3D is similar to the Half-Life engine, and Crystal Space 3D is really awesome. I have Half-Life and the SDK (Software Development Kit), but are we really allowed to use Hammer for our own projects? And can Hammer 4.0 maps be converted to Crystal Space 3D map formats?

Thanks!
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 11:28:18 am »

Quote from: Beasty
Are we allowed to use WorldCraft/Hammer Editor for our own projects? Isn't it the property of Valve and you are only allowed to use it for the creation of Half-Life modifications? I think it's a great idea that Crystal Space 3D is similar to the Half-Life engine, and Crystal Space 3D is really awesome. I have Half-Life and the SDK (Software Development Kit), but are we really allowed to use Hammer for our own projects? And can Hammer 4.0 maps be converted to Crystal Space 3D map formats?

Thanks!

I *think* it is legal but I'm not 100% sure. Personally I recommend Blender for map editing though. It is a lot more powerful then WorldCraft/Hammer Editor and it is also better supported by Crystal Space.

Greetings,
Anonymous
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 02:50:30 am »

Ok, thanks!
Anonymous
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 02:52:49 am »

Sorry, the above post is mine
Beasty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 10:43:06 am »

I'm really sorry about the above posts. I was using a different computer. It kept on logging out of my forum account whenever I tried to post a reply. Anyway how can I convert blend files to cyberspace 3D maps? Crystal blend doesn't seem to have released any projects.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 10:50:53 am »

Quote from: Beasty
I'm really sorry about the above posts. I was using a different computer. It kept on logging out of my forum account whenever I tried to post a reply. Anyway how can I convert blend files to cyberspace 3D maps? Crystal blend doesn't seem to have released any projects.

You use blend2cs or blender2crystal. See http://www.crystalspace3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Creating+art+for+Crystal+Space.

Don't confuse the CrystalBlend project with this! CrystalBlend will NOT convert maps to Crystal Space. That's what blend2cs and blender2crystal do.

Greetings,
Beasty

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 02:01:07 am »

Ah, okay! Thanks! Smiley
zaz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 05:12:44 am »

If I were you, I'd read the license agreement closely and if you have questions, check with a lawyer.

Having been working some with the torque game engine the last year or so, this question has come up in their forums many times.  Valve has told garagegames several times that they were going to ammend the license agreement to cover torque, but unless they've done it recently, it hasn't happened yet.  The general concensus there is "don't use it until the license says you can."

If you're doing something private, its unlikely Valve would find out, whether or not your use conforms with the terms of the license agreement.  However, if you're going to be releasing something to the public, commercial or otherwise, it would be worth your while to be sure.  It just isn't worth the time and hassle involved should Valve decide to make an example of you, especially when other tools are available to do the same task.
Beasty

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 02:09:42 am »

Okay, thanks!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: