Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 10:03:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9026 Posts in 2046 Topics by 9152 Members
Latest Member: Macinej
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  How to distribute a CS "App"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How to distribute a CS "App"?  (Read 2906 times)
calli

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2005, 05:09:30 pm »

Hi there,

for now or in future, how does one distribute an app/game made with CS?

- Legal issues? The LGPL is making it possible not to have to release the source.

- How do I make an "EXE" or an directory which can be installed on a foreign computer?

These are some thoughts coming in my mind while trying to redo some Blender projects in CS.

Regards,
Carsten
ikarsik

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 04:32:23 pm »

with your project you have to include the source for the GPL licenced project that you are using and any modifications you made to it. so this would mean CS and the blender project that you want to redo if you were taking the source from blender instead of starting from scratch.

there are a few free packages around that allow you to make .exe installers just like any other game, without much work. or you could just provide binaries in a compressed arcive format such as .tar.gz or .zip.
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 08:19:37 am »

Hi,

Here you got the LGPL wrong. The difference between the GPL and the LGPL, which is important for this matter, is that if you use an LGPL library (such as CS) you do not have to release the source of your application (just source of any changes you make to the LGPL work). There are some minior requirements (you must link dynamically), but it is in general no problem.

Take a look at some free installation software creator, such as nullsofts.

-M
calli

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 11:44:23 am »

My major concern at the moment is how to collect all files and data to put together a package which can be run on a different computer... Is there some guide or a script helping me with that task?

Regards,
Carsten
deckerego

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 04:37:45 pm »

I think the best bet would be to look at Jorrit's CEL demo, which he distributes as a stand-alone ZIP archive. You can see what dependencies & libraires are needed, as well as how he handles environment parametres in his launch scripts.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: