Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 02:09:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9005 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8231 Members
Latest Member: Loiselelias
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Associate Projects
| |-+  CrystalBlend Discussion
| | |-+  Independent alpha
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Independent alpha  (Read 3973 times)
Tony
« on: July 01, 2005, 02:30:02 am »

One of the downside of Blender game engine is the fact that you can't use a independent alpha map, it has to be in a 32 bit format that support RGBA, I'm hoping that independent alpha mapping will be worked in.

Also note that there is no particle support in Blender game engine and it can't load models while in game.

One of the features I would like to see is effects for textures, such as texture scrolling, scaling, stretching, spinning and multi texture support.

Also be cool if this could be separated from alpha and textures.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 06:35:55 am »

One of the downside of Blender game engine is the fact that you can't use a independent alpha map, it has to be in a 32 bit format that support RGBA, I'm hoping that independent alpha mapping will be worked in.

At this moment Crystal Space also doesn't support that. Not sure how easy it is to add that.

Greetings,
Tony

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 11:55:30 am »

Noooooooooooooo !!! Please say it ain't so Sad  All those hard drive space and texture gone to waste.
joeri

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 02:54:51 pm »

Euh,....

Texture scrolling and scaling is supported in blender game engine.
All UV data is accessable thruw python.

8/24/32 bit texture data discussion sounds a bit weird to me.
As far as I know all textures are stored as 32 bit textures in the gfx card, so it does not matter how you supply them to blender, it's going to be 32 bit anyway.
So this also means there is no bennefit from having a separate alpha channel. Rather the other way around.

Tony

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 11:24:57 am »

I had something more in mind like the Doom 3 mtr for example, each image can be use to combine with others to overlap and create certain effects.

EX. _s in doom is for spec _local is for normal mapping _d is for diffuse and _a is for alpha I think, height maps can also be use for z depht.

So if I had more then one diffuse image that I want them all to use the same alpha then this will required less work and less hard drive space.

Look here for more info on doom 3 texture http://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: