Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 10:32:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9032 Posts in 2046 Topics by 9297 Members
Latest Member: Adrihjapa
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Projects
| |-+  Project Discussion
| | |-+  A novel RTS project
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A novel RTS project  (Read 6452 times)

View Profile Email
« on: July 04, 2007, 11:14:52 am »

Not to break the existing "New X project" template thing, just wanted to put a little more feeling into the post Smiley

I've been programming as a hobby for a long time now and only recently got really interested in making something big (like a game maybe?).  My last few projects were based around Genetic Algorithms and Neural Networks.  I came up with the idea that an RTS would be so much better if the AI took care of the grunt work.  After all, a Commander/General/Overseer or whatever, shouldn't need to micro-manage everything.  I've already coded a very simple OpenGL engine.  I purchased MlikShape and started making some simple models, tanks, helicopter, Jeep, blah blah.  The project is at the point where i'm pretty sure the concept will work.  It's facinating to watch these little guys learn how to carry things around and build your structures.  Each vehicle has a strand of DNA that powers the Neural Net.  Over time the DNA is mutated and the better DNA is kept, so your vehicles are constantly learning and adapting to their environments.  The basic utility vehicles would remind you of ants how they use their directional sensors to locate resources and gather them up.

Anyways.. i'm tired of trying to improve my little graphics engine.  Crystal Space seems to be a fantastic platform for 3d applications.. so i'm starting to learn it and port the code over.

Team name:
me, mostly..

Project name:
Currently Alpha14, but only because it needed a name.

Brief description:
A regular sci-fi type RTS except that you don't directly control many of the units.  Your units have evolving NeuralNets that do their best to complete the goals you set.  This will keep you from micro managing everything (and no more hyper-clicking and mental fatigue) so you can focus on the tactics and "fun" elements of RTS gameplay.  Each vehicle has it's own strand of DNA that you can take from mission to mission (the best of each type, anyways).  So the player's units are completely different than another player's units.  This should make multiplayer games a lot more interesting.

Target aim:
I'd love to sell it someday.. probably on a forgotten website that rarely gets visited.

Compensation:
not really recruiting team-members, at the moment.  So no sense in paying any one.

Technology:
 - FeedForward Neural Nets that are trained using Genetic Algorithms.
 - Swarm behavior on units, to promote (loose) formations of similar units.

Talent needed:
not recruiting, at the moment.

Team structure:
Democratic most days.. but the project IS my baby..

none

Contacts:
here is fine

Additional Info:

A random screenshot of some vehicles learning/evolving.

I'd enjoy any feedback, to be honest.  What you think of the concept?  Any questions about the project or whatever..?
inkolibria
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 01:18:30 pm »

I really like the Idea!

But keep in mind that lot of people likes the micro management, and if you remove that aspect, you have to try to add fun in other aspects. I personally like the idea of units which evolve to different environments mission by mission.

Target aim:
I'd love to sell it someday.. probably on a forgotten website that rarely gets visited.
Keep in mind to free the code someday, so somebody will take advantage using your algorithms and maybe improve the game, Smiley
genjix

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 08:36:36 pm »

I like it! Very cool! Maybe if people are also allowed to micro manage for specific cases if need be, but the units are also intelligent and self sufficient Smiley
Xavi

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 04:37:15 pm »

Thats really cool!

But how i read, theres lots of people who love micro managing, so maybe, you can add the possibility of "teaching your units"  so you can teach, let them work and maybe later in the game, change you strategy, showing other tactics to the units....

well, i hope it would be usefull for you!

Xavi

Xavi
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: