Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 02:11:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9020 Posts in 2053 Topics by 8568 Members
Latest Member: Chajsay
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  what's the best 3d program?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: what's the best 3d program?  (Read 50069 times)
fred
« on: January 02, 2005, 06:18:18 am »

what is the best 3d modeling program to use with cs? i would prefer not to have to spend too much on it.
deckerego

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 04:48:03 pm »

I'd recommend Blender - www.blender3d.org. It's what is currently being used to develop the Crystal Core demo.
Keen
Webmaster
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 02:53:07 pm »

I haven't really played around with 3D modelling for Crystal Space yet. But here's the sum of things I've played/heard of with and my comments:

XSI: Industry standard, most expensive. There doesn't seem to be many tutorials for this one (that are free anyway). I haven't played around with this one yet.

3DS Max (discreet): Another industry standard app, but not as expensive as XSI and according to some people, not as good either. There are many tutorials for this one. I've heard from places that 3DS Max is the way to go for creating games, but I don't know for sure.

Maya (alias): Another industry standard app, I think its not as expensive as 3DS Max. Some people claim that Maya is better than 3DS Max. Maya wins barely by number of free tutorials on the net compared to 3DS Max.

Maya vs 3DS Max is hotly debated around the net, but personally, I use 3DS Max, but I think it would be better to go with Maya.

XSI, Maya and 3DS Max use the high-quality mentalray which gives excellent rendered images.

Blender 3D: Formerly commercial but now Open Source (free). This project just recently started and its slowly climbing the ladder towards industry standard (though not quite there yet). From what I've found, the tutorials are horrible. It is very unconventional in respect of the use of the keyboard and mouse for controls (While Maya and 3DS Max have similar controls).

Crystal Space seems to be geared towards Blender 3D, and if you're starting 3D stuff, I recommend this program.

The inbuilt renderer isn't too good, but since it's got a plugin of YAFRay (Yet Another Free RAYtracer) it is better now.

Wings 3D: Another open source program. EXTREMELY easy to use, and you can create complex objects pretty quickly. Keep in mind, this is only a 3D modelling program.

Cinema 4D: I haven't heard much of this one. I think it is industry standard. Not much to comment here.

Lightwave 3D: I've heard even less from this one. It seems to be the choice of Japanese Anime artists. The renderer is pretty good.

I'm sure there are many others, but these are the ones I've heard of.

Keen

Stop emailing me with scary CS questions! Direct your emails to jorrit or thebolt!

For Crystal Space Tutorials, articles and other stuff, visit community.crystalspace3d.org
deckerego

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 03:21:34 pm »

Blender tutorials aren't bad, they just are very segmented. There aren't a lot of how-to's necessarily... more documentation on specific features. But I think that the new Blender 2.3 book is actually well done and makes a lot of sense. More emphasis was put on animation this go-'round. The first book was more of a collation of community tutorials - this one is more of a walk-thru.

The Blender UI is nutty... but it was geared to have a heckuva lot of left-handed shortcuts in combination with the other hand on the mouse. Once you force yourself to always have one hand on the keyboard and one on a three-button mouse, it's not so bad.
Anonymous
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 09:41:29 pm »

Well honestly the apps  which are recommended are:
-3dsmax cause  has an exporter to  CS  wich is made/used by the planeshift team.
-blender has  an exporter wich has the favors of jorrit ( he ve put his hands inside and i guess he use it).
-milkshape while being less complete has a working exporter for cal3D.

All  the other apps: maya,softimage, rhino,lightwave are great comercial apps  wich don t have an exporter for CS, thought you can still use them to model,  UVmap , and  texture.

Yet to model,  for all starters i suggest  wings3d, wich is open source,  and _really_ easy to use, it does modeling and uvmapping nicely , but that s all, it doesn t even support bolean operations.
Then for exporting , if you are starting , i d suggest you to use blender ( even if i don  t do so .... yet  trying to get used to it),  cause even if it s kinda awkward , better use it when you  know  nothing else , cause after it s even more difficult to  get used to  it.
dingobloo
Idle Extrordinare.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 03:39:03 am »

Quote from: Anonymous

All  the other apps: maya,softimage, rhino,lightwave are great comercial apps  wich don t have an exporter for CS, thought you can still use them to model,  UVmap , and  texture.

Actually maya does have a CS Exporter just not a cal3d exporter. The CS exporter was a bit out-dated but CyaNox i belive is updating it to support newer meshtypes and iron out the bugs etc, plus Dentoid was working on a CS canvas inside maya for realtime previews etc, althought it is moreso for his own project it is hoped that he will make the CS part of it available when it's ready.... we hope. Here is a preview for all those who havnt seen it:

http://dentoid.mine.nu/crystal%20space/crystalmaya7.jpg

I've also heard rumours about a lightwave exporter under construction for a project.
Arianna

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 08:58:16 am »

I personally use 3dsmax, because I don't like so much Blender interface.
3dsmax has its advantage and disadvantage, like all software.
First of all it is not for free, but it has really nice tutorials and there and then some supports forum.

The 3dsmax exporter, the one used by PS team, is an ok tool, but sometimes the guide is not updated and intuitive (often the explanation are a bit "misty"), and it does not support all the features for CS, but the ones needed by the PS team (that are a lot, anyway).
Btw, there is the possibility to contact the authors for help.

Ary
CyaNox

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 06:36:12 pm »

I use Maya and thats why I have revised and extended the Maya exporter. I currently have a working world exporter that exports the meshes as GenMesh or Sprite3D. It also exports lights with Halo's. I have not yet commited the changes but thats because I plan to do a much bigger task. One of them is write a Maya plugin for the exporting of the meshes. This because the exporter script is very slow on large meshes or big worlds. Hopefully I will be able to commit something within the next month. But I can't promise anything.

Have Fun!!!

Mark Sanders
Bubbuh

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 04:56:34 am »

MODO 201 Is the very best 3d modelling, painting, unwrapping, texturing, and rendering as of now. It's renderer is tied with Lightwave's. But in terms of all the other aspects of 3d, MODO 201 is tops for now. It's a new program so not many people heard of it yet. Check it out.
Numb

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 05:17:17 am »

Is Milkshape 3D compatible with CS?
Mike

Email
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 03:13:45 am »

Modo 201 the very best?...that's interesting, since it hasn't even been released yet.  Modo is indeed an extremely competent program, however it does have a steep learning curb for a newbies.  It is also not capable of Animation for example...

Base versions of XSI, Maya, Cinema 4D are extremely cheap.  Lightwave is also a very good applicaton, used on such TV programmes as Star Trek DS9, Voyager, Firefly etc.

Speaking as a Cinema 4D user, cinema has a truely excelent connection with Photoshop (along with After Effects).  It can multipass individual objects, and individual elements (ie shadow, colour, highlights) into seperate layers in photoshop for tweeking.

Practically all the applications mentioned on this page have demo versions which are fully functional, so I would suggest trying a few and seeing which one suits your needs best.
Lrdofnightmares

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 10:21:29 pm »

Ummmm hey guys me and my team are using Cinema 4D and we know how to work with it...the thing is....
Can Crystal Space use the things we make with Cinema 4D??
Please answer me as soon as possible cause if CS can't work with the things from C4D then we should stop using C4D 

Lrdofnightmares

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 06:21:36 pm »

Hey guys!!! Does anyone know?Huh?

Lrdofnightmares

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 01:17:26 pm »

SO noone knows?Huh??

Garyguerrerojr

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 04:32:25 pm »

3dsmax is my choice they have great tutorials