Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 06:18:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9005 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8234 Members
Latest Member: Richardandrei
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Game Content Creation
| | |-+  blender2crystal woes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: blender2crystal woes  (Read 7393 times)
Dano

View Profile Email
« on: March 03, 2008, 09:09:08 pm »

Greetings, I've been playing with blender and crystal again lately, and have run into a pretty consistent issue...

So I may create some nice scene in blender (let's say a room with nice colorful walls)
Then I export it using blender2cs which makes world.zip
Then I extract world.zip and walktest -relight .

Now all this goes fairly well, I get a camera that moves around walktest style.

What doesn't go so well is that the lights seem VERY VERY dim, and not at all where I placed them in blender.

Also, I either see no color (materials) or sometimes (maybe by cranking the lights up REALLY bright and putting them REALLY close) i'll get kind of an average color.  So for example a leopard print jpg tex'd onto a wall will just look like flat solid tan.

Sometimes (like just now), however, I just get blackness.  In nothing more than a cube with a light and a camera in it (and yes the normals are flipped in).
It renders properly (beautifully) in blender, but when I open it in cs, not so much.

Any help getting over this little bump would be greatly appreciated
Thx
bookeater2

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 05:45:09 pm »

The first thing to do is to get one of the example files from the b2cs site. When you click run, check for the same problems. If those test files work ok, then the problem is your settings in blender.

With lights, energy may not have any effect. set the color to a high value, and the distance to one that matches the scale of the scene.
With textures, is the texture visible in blender in the texture view mode? Is there a material or multiple materials assigned that have different textures set?

If you are using the default b2cs values however it should work right away...
Dano

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 09:13:18 pm »

Ok, so I got the RoomTest.blend example from the site.  It exported just fine, and loaded up into walktest, everything displays cleanly, in color, good to go.

So apparently i'm doing something wrong (or not doing something at all) in blender.
Hrm...
raccoon

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 08:40:17 pm »

I experienced similar problems, and just learned today that I must do two things:
1.  Make sure the textures are UV-mapped in Blender.  Textures that are not UV-mapped will not show up in
Blender Game Engine, nor export to CrystalSpace.  I think they also do not show in Blender "texture draw mode";
not so sure about that.
2.  Make sure the texture files are where walktest will be looking for them.  In the Blender scripts window,
I was seeing something like this:
Dir: /tmp
File: world.zip
Tex: texture
Trouble is, my texture image files were not in subdirectory "texture", nor in "/tmp/texture"; they were
in "./images".  I changed to
Dir: .
Tex: images
and everything worked fine.
(P.S. "." means the working directory in Unix.)
raccoon

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 05:15:53 pm »

Strangely, when I posted my previous message, it seemed obvious how to get to this screen -- the one where you can specify the directories and files -- but it now seems impossible to get back to it.
raccoon

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 12:20:43 am »

Answering my own question, for the record, you can get back to a place to set the directory and output file name by clicking on the world icon for "World Settings", then the wrench icon for "section: paths", and there you can set output dir and output file.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: