Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 04:28:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9009 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8373 Members
Latest Member: Msfilercarle03
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  create a "variable" game
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: create a "variable" game  (Read 3166 times)
Manuel

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2008, 05:56:21 pm »

Is it possible to create a game with CS where a user can define the outline of a level?
What I would like to do is the following: the user draws a floorplan using a thick black marker. The sketch is scanned in and the game creates a map from this file at startup. When the game starts I would like to see the sketch as the floor of the level. Wherever there is a thick black line moving entities should behave as if there was an impenetrable wall. I have a vague idea that this could work similar to creating a level from a heightmap...

If this was possible, could the user place models on that map, like in a leveleditor? Tables, humans etc.

And last: could the user after that manually create Quests for those models/entities that execute rewards  on triggers like meshselect on billboards attached to human entities. More precicely: there would be a set of acitivites that are not know at compile time, but are provided in an xml file by the user. Those activities are assigned to human entities by a simulator at runtime (workflowmanagement). When this happens the name of the activity appears on a billboard attached to the human. A click on an entry should trigger a reward. 
There would have to be a predefined set of rewards the user can chose from and arrange them in parallel and sequencial order for every activity in the xml file. Like a sequence of move operations or a move operation to the position of another entity (using cels pathfinder) or the destruction of a visible entity.

thanks for all comments and thoughts about this!
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 02:27:09 pm »

In Crystal Space you can create any geometry from code so yes this would be possible but of course you'll have to code the logic to convert the floormap to CS objects yourselves.

Same for CEL. You can manually create quests and anything that you like using (C++) code.

Greetings,
Manuel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 06:46:21 pm »

Thank you jorrit!

I could use blender and python to make a blender object from an image of the sketch using image.getpixelf(x,y) a threshold and Mesh.Primitives.Plane
similar to http://welcometochrisworld.com/2008/06/18/pixel-squaring/
then join the planes to one mesh. Maybe extrude.
Right?
Then I could use blender2crystal to create a crystalspace entity? mesh?
Or could I even use blender to place more objects in the scene (setting the entity parameter) and export them along with the floorplan creating a world for cs?
So many more things to aks...

Is there a page that explains how blender, blender2crystal, crystalblend play together and whats the difference between b2c and cb? Or does cb use b2c?
Unfortunately some pages that seem to have explained something a point to the main crystalspace website like
http://www.crystalspace3d.org/?page=Creating+art+for+Crystal+Space

thanks!
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 10:28:21 am »

Thank you jorrit!

I could use blender and python to make a blender object from an image of the sketch using image.getpixelf(x,y) a threshold and Mesh.Primitives.Plane
similar to http://welcometochrisworld.com/2008/06/18/pixel-squaring/
then join the planes to one mesh. Maybe extrude.
Right?
Then I could use blender2crystal to create a crystalspace entity? mesh?
Or could I even use blender to place more objects in the scene (setting the entity parameter) and export them along with the floorplan creating a world for cs?
So many more things to aks...

Well these are all possibilities. blender2crystal can be used to export objects that are then read in CS.
But you can also do this in CS.

Is there a page that explains how blender, blender2crystal, crystalblend play together and whats the difference between b2c and cb? Or does cb use b2c?
Unfortunately some pages that seem to have explained something a point to the main crystalspace website like
http://www.crystalspace3d.org/?page=Creating+art+for+Crystal+Space

thanks!

CrystalBlend is dead. Don't use that anymore. For blender2crystal just google for 'blender2crystal' and you will find a page with lots of information and tutorials.

Greetings,
Manuel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 03:41:47 pm »

oh ok. I thought one goal of the apricot project was to enhance crystalblend.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: