Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 09:32:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9018 Posts in 2051 Topics by 8494 Members
Latest Member: Onapthanh
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Game Content Creation
| | |-+  Dynamic Reflection
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dynamic Reflection  (Read 5023 times)
TheCommander

View Profile Email
« on: October 25, 2008, 09:57:47 pm »

Hi all,

For my current project I want to produce some genmeshes from blender with reflective shaders, so they look like they have been painted with glossy paint

Using blender2crystal I have applied the stat_dyn_reflect shader along with a mask and cubemap however ideally I would like to reflect the surrounding environment, changing the reflected surface as the mesh moves (which it does very rapidly for 50 frames). Is there an easy way to do this such as a shader I have missed or would I be better off sticking with stat_dyn_reflect? Alternately, could I animate the reflection texture and start it when the mesh begins to move?

Thanks in advance

I am using CS 1.2 (stable), win32libs 1.2_002, windows vista business 64 and an ati radeon x1600 with latest drivers (7.14.0010.0618), along with CS 1.9 (latest) and win32libls 1.3_004
res
Develazyoper
CS Developer

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 05:58:25 pm »

You'll need the trunk version of CrystalSpace. 1.4 and below don't have the necessary functionality.

Once you use trunk using a shader to get the reflection is relatively trivial, since it will then be provided automatically by the engine.
(A reflection shader as such is not present atm, but it's relatively easy to add. I can provide assistance with that, once needed.)
TheCommander

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 04:55:18 am »

Thanks for the reply,

I am currently set up on the latest svn version (as of this morning) and am able to render the basic view, similar to blender's textured mode. Setting different shaders in blender2crystal seems to have absolutely no effect however I take it there is a way to fix this.

Would I be right in thinking that if the engine can do the calculations for a reflection it can apply a texture as well, so that the UV mapped texture assigned to the mesh provides a base colour (similar to the effect of setting up ray mirror in blender)

Thanks in advance

I am using CS 1.2 (stable), win32libs 1.2_002, windows vista business 64 and an ati radeon x1600 with latest drivers (7.14.0010.0618), along with CS 1.9 (latest) and win32libls 1.3_004
res
Develazyoper
CS Developer

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 11:34:48 am »

Setting different shaders in blender2crystal seems to have absolutely no effect however I take it there is a way to fix this.

The effect setting a shader has depends on some additional parameters; specifically, which rendermanager (or renderloop in case of using "legacy" render loop rendering). Might be best to try to find someone with practical experience to give you a rundown ...

Would I be right in thinking that if the engine can do the calculations for a reflection it can apply a texture as well, so that the UV mapped texture assigned to the mesh provides a base colour (similar to the effect of setting up ray mirror in blender)

Certainly. It's all a matter of what the shader does.
TheCommander

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 10:21:33 pm »

So, is there anyone around who could give a quick rundown on the render manager, documentation doesn't seem to exist yet (what it does, how to hook into and use it besides the default code found in simpmap tutorial etc)

Also, what do I have to do to a cg shader to use it in crystalspace?
EDIT: Just found the Shader 101 tutorial on tutorials page

Thanks in advance.

P.S: This is drifting more into the support forum, if any mods feel it necessary to move feel free (I don't think I can)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 11:42:23 pm by TheCommander » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: