Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 02:47:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9005 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8209 Members
Latest Member: Rhenchao
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  Compiling Problems
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Compiling Problems  (Read 4117 times)
Zuero

View Profile Email
« on: November 05, 2008, 06:02:47 pm »

Ok a long time ago I tried to compile CS but wit no luck, now I am trying again. First I want to know EXACTLY everything I need to install in order to compile Crystal Space. The Compiler I am using is Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. I have already installed cs-win32libs. I have the Microsoft Platform SDK. Also do I need to install ODE? I tried to when it said put the lib and include directories to a suitable directory. Thing is that's not possible since the lib directory from the ODE source does not exist. Please tell me what I need to install before compiling Crystal Space. And how to install what is necessary because I find the documentation on how to install some of these things like ODE and zlib and Cal3D vague and therefore not having the necessary information on how to correctly install them.

I would like to post the output to show the errors for better understanding of my problem but it is far too long.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 06:05:56 pm »

Ok a long time ago I tried to compile CS but wit no luck, now I am trying again. First I want to know EXACTLY everything I need to install in order to compile Crystal Space. The Compiler I am using is Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. I have already installed cs-win32libs. I have the Microsoft Platform SDK. Also do I need to install ODE? I tried to when it said put the lib and include directories to a suitable directory. Thing is that's not possible since the lib directory from the ODE source does not exist. Please tell me what I need to install before compiling Crystal Space. And how to install what is necessary because I find the documentation on how to install some of these things like ODE and zlib and Cal3D vague and therefore not having the necessary information on how to correctly install them.

I would like to post the output to show the errors for better understanding of my problem but it is far too long.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

You don't have to install ODE as it is included in cswinlibs. Just cswinlibs is all you need. We made that package so that you don't have to install anything else. So you don't have to install zlib, you don't have to install cal3d, and so on. It is all part of cswinlibs (as is stated in the documentation).

Greetings,
Zuero

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 06:20:44 pm »

Ok then I don't understand why I'm gettings errors saying

cannot open input file 'zlib.lib' and cannot open include file: 'ddraw.h' (Which Might not be related with the required cs-win32libs, but would still like to know how to fix this error)

Also I remember getting another error having to do with zconf.h,
any help on this?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 06:26:48 pm »

Did you let the cswinlibs install update your CS folder? Think well about all the things it comes to ask. It is important that you allow it to update the place where you extracted CS.

BTW what version of CS and cswinlibs are you using?

Greetings,
Zuero

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 06:46:45 pm »

Ok I did what you said. I made sure it updated my CS folder but it did not help at all, it still says the zlib.lib error and now it says some vorbis/codec.h errors.

And I am using Crystal Space 1.2.1 and cs-win32libs 1.0.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 06:51:01 pm »

For Crystal Space 1.2 you need a cswinlibs that also starts with 1.2.

Greetings,
Zuero

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 07:06:48 pm »

I just installed the 1.2 version of the cs-win32libs and still the same zlib.lib errors. Sad
Is there anything I'm missing?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 07:09:08 pm »

Perhaps start from scratch. Extract CS in a new dir. Install the right version of cswinlibs. If that still fails then give me the exact errors that you're getting. This way does work. Many people do it using the compiler that you're using.

Greetings,
Zuero

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 08:03:15 pm »

Ok I am trying to start from scratch again but it will not let me extract the Crystal Space files. On WinRar it comes up with over 10000 errors saying that it cannot create ANY file from the Crystal Space source, and when it finished the file never extracted at all. What is wrong here?

EDIT: Wait nevermind, It's because I tried to extract it in Program Files. I tried extracting it to my desktop and it worked. Ok I am starting from scratch now, so I will let you know if it works.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 08:05:18 pm by Zuero » Logged
Zuero

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 08:24:04 pm »

Ok I tried from scratch and didn't change anything at all. The errors that I'm getting are a whole bunch of cannot find input file 'zlib.lib'. And other like cannot find 'ddraw' no such file or directory. Any help on this. I practically tried everything and nothing seems to work. Sad
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 10:52:50 pm »

Describe to me *exactly* with full filenames and everything you do how you do the entire install procedure.

Greetings,
Zuero

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 11:06:55 pm »

Ok,

1. I extracted the Crystal Space Source to my desktop then I moved it to Program Files and renamed it CS.
2. I installed cs-win32libs 1.2 002 and set it so it updates the CS directory in program files.
3. After the full installation (Installed everything that the win32lib provides) I opened up wkstypical.sln and set it to release build then I clicked Build Solution (I also tried Clean and Rebuild) and then it took awhile, which then it came up with those errors, about 21 succeeded and 157 Failed builds in the solution.

Note: All the files that the library installation puts in the CS folder is outside another folder that actually leads to the Source of Crystal Space. Just thought you should know. Something like this
*Inside the CS folder*
crystalspace-src-1.2.1
include
libs

and the rest of the Library files.

And that's exactly what I did.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 11:09:08 pm by Zuero » Logged
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 11:16:30 pm »

Note: All the files that the library installation puts in the CS folder is outside another folder that actually leads to the Source of Crystal Space. Just thought you should know. Something like this
*Inside the CS folder*
crystalspace-src-1.2.1
include
libs

That is *not* good. Then you are not putting in the right path to CS when cswinlibs install asks you for it. What path do you give it?

Additionally you might try putting CS in a directory that doesn't contain spaces. In any case Program Files is not a really good place to put this. Program Files is for compiled programs. Not for source code.

Greetings,
Zuero

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 11:29:20 pm »

Ohh ok, I kinda figured it was that. Just had to be sure. Thanks, I reinstalled the library and set it up so it is in the correct path this time, I am compiling now. Hopefully this works. I will let you know if any other errors occur or if my problem is fixed.
Zuero

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 01:03:08 am »

Finally! It worked. it successfully compiled. Thanks for all your help!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: