Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 02:59:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9008 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8357 Members
Latest Member: Msyexelcarl03
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  Poor performance of CS?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Poor performance of CS?  (Read 3886 times)
PC

View Profile Email
« on: January 30, 2009, 07:28:54 pm »

Good morning!

I recently got involved in CS and CEL and have downloaded and tried several example projects.  Two of them, Crystal Core and PlaneShift, look very neat but they are extreemly slow and sluggish.  I was expecting that with Crystal Core but PlaneShift I expected to at least have better response.  Is this a problem with the game design or with CS and my machine?  Its a year old laptop with a fairly good graphics chip.  I don't have any trouble running WoW or games like Quake3 so I wasn't expecting blazing fast performance with CS but not sluggishness to the point of unusability.

What, if any, tweeks to the games or CS can be done to increase performance?  Do you need a state of the art, 2Gb graphics card that has its own nuclear power plant to use CS beyond 5 fps?

Thank you for your time!
res
Develazyoper
CS Developer

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 08:53:28 pm »

- Be more specific. "Fairly good graphics chip" isn't. What hardware do you actually have?
- At least Quake3 is about 8 years old. Quake3 running well does not indicate a good graphics chip any more.
  WoW might be a better benchmark here, but I don't know it, so I can't say much on it. Maybe it's requirements aren't that high either.
PC

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 09:33:04 pm »

Correct me if I am wrong but what I think you are saying is that there are no general guidelines to improve CS performance without specific installation information, i.e. CS examples I tried require per-user configuration and fixes.  Probably at the code level because I didn't see any config options (but I very well could have missed them).

Take for example the minimum requirements for PlaneShift:
Windows (2000, XP or Vista), Mac OS X 10.4, Linux (2.6 kernel, glibc 2.3.2), FreeBSD or Solaris
GeForce 2 or higher 3D graphics card (64MB of video memory at least)
1 Ghz CPU
512 MB RAM
1 GB free disk space
56k modem Internet connection

What would be the best way to get around 20 FPS at 800x600 with this hardware?  Most of the models in game looked fairly simple so I don't imagine the poly count to be terrorably high.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 09:34:46 pm »

The PS maps are not as simply as they might look. The problem is also that we don't use LOD enough so that in fact all geometry is full detail. Even if it is far away. With good LOD we could get considerably better performance.

Greetings,
PC

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 09:41:55 pm »

Thanks for the reply, jorrit!

I completly understand not implementing LOD initially as a design decision.  As it was mentioned on the PlaneShift site the current code is more of a proof of concept than a fully worked up game.  Is there any way to turn on a "currently poly count" display on PS?

So then a good tweek / practice to improve CS performance would be to implement some kind of level of detail or culling?  Does CS or CEL have bulit in support for this or would I need to write my own code?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 09:45:20 pm »

CS has support for culling. That's not the biggest problem. What would be very useful for CS to have would be support for more kinds of LOD. Currently we support static LOD but that's a lot of work for artists since the artist has to make the different detail levels of the objects. One other type of LOD that we would like to have is impostors. With impostors a complex object that is far away is rendered on a texture and then the texture is used instead of the object. This is a feature that CS still lacks and I feel that it would help a lot.

Using bugplug you can see the number of triangles rendered at some time. Start psclient with -plugin=bugplug -verbose=-scf commandline options and I think you should see this information at the top of the screen if I remember the options right.

Greetings,
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: