Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 07:16:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9018 Posts in 2051 Topics by 8494 Members
Latest Member: Onapthanh
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  Recent CS CVS, -framework, ./configure and linux
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Recent CS CVS, -framework, ./configure and linux  (Read 2092 times)
zaz

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2005, 04:48:31 am »

I'm trying to look at CS to see if it meets my needs for current and/or future projects, but I'm running into a problem with with getting a decent build going.

I've installed the few packages I didn't have, like cal3d and a few others, and have gotten 0.98 to build fine against them.  However, when I try to build a recent CVS snapshot, i.e. cs-2005-07-10.021901.tar.bz2, the ./configure process misses finding many of the installed packages on my system.

What happens is that in cases like cal3d and python, ./configure finds the package(s)/necessary files, but when it attempts to verify the installation, the comannd it attempts to compile with has a "-framework Python" or similar option on the compiler command line generated by ./configure.

My investigation has lead me to believe this is a MacOSX only gcc option, and in fact, in most cases there are tests in ./configure to only emit "-framework SomePackage" for builds happening on a Mac.  In the case of at least cal3d and Python, the "-framework Python", etc. is always emitted, causing the test compile by ./configure to fail which then ./configure inteprets to mean that the package in question is bad in some way.

So, am I missing some secret in building CS here ?  Or is this indeed a bug ?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 05:23:00 am »

I'm trying to look at CS to see if it meets my needs for current and/or future projects, but I'm running into a problem with with getting a decent build going.

I've installed the few packages I didn't have, like cal3d and a few others, and have gotten 0.98 to build fine against them.  However, when I try to build a recent CVS snapshot, i.e. cs-2005-07-10.021901.tar.bz2, the ./configure process misses finding many of the installed packages on my system.

What happens is that in cases like cal3d and python, ./configure finds the package(s)/necessary files, but when it attempts to verify the installation, the comannd it attempts to compile with has a "-framework Python" or similar option on the compiler command line generated by ./configure.

My investigation has lead me to believe this is a MacOSX only gcc option, and in fact, in most cases there are tests in ./configure to only emit "-framework SomePackage" for builds happening on a Mac.  In the case of at least cal3d and Python, the "-framework Python", etc. is always emitted, causing the test compile by ./configure to fail which then ./configure inteprets to mean that the package in question is bad in some way.

So, am I missing some secret in building CS here ?  Or is this indeed a bug ?

I'm not sure what is going on but you might have better luck with the CVS version of Crystal Space instead of 0.98. Lots of things have been fixed and the CVS version is now pretty stable.

Greetings,
zaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 05:42:40 am »

0.98_004 is building fine for me and I'm playing around with it now.  Its the current/recent CVS that won't configure properly, in my case the
cs-2005-07-10.021901.tar.bz2 snapshot I grabbed.

I wanted to try out something recent from CVS and that is when I ran into the problems with the -framework compile options being invoked by ./configure. I apologize for not making that clear.

Also, for clarity, I'm doing this under SuSE 9.2 with SuSE's builds of gcc (3.3.4) and python (2.3.4) and my own build of cal3d (CVS current to 0.98_004 release for 0.98_004 and current cal3d CVS for CS 0.99CVS).
zaz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 06:24:29 am »

Nothing to see here ... Everyone move along ... Smiley

Ok, looks better now.  Actually, 0.98 wasn't recognizing python, either because of the -framework issue or because of an issue with my python-devel installation.  I had fixed a python-devel problem on my system sometime yesterday and yesterday was when I had built 0.98, not sure about the relative times though.

It appears that the CVS snapshot I got is now building with cal3d and python and more than likely with the other stuff.  I can go into more detail if anyone thinks it'd help them, but for the most part it looks like I was mixing and matching version of cal3d and CS too many ways yesterday, Smiley.
sunshine
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 07:59:31 pm »

The configure script will try a series of build commands with different options when attempting to locate a library. The build command using -framework is just one of the items in that series. It is normal for it to fail on platforms other than MacOS/X. After it fails, the configure script will try a different build command in an attempt to locate the same library. If that fails, it will try another variation. If all attempts fail, then it will declare that it could not locate the library. This is correct and normal behavior.

If a check for a library is failing on your installation, then you need to look at all of the tests applied to that library, not only at the first test (the -framework one) in order to determine why it is failing.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: