Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 09:43:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9010 Posts in 2044 Topics by 8800 Members
Latest Member: Xxbobo
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  Strange tutorial behaviour - timing glitches?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Strange tutorial behaviour - timing glitches?  (Read 1750 times)
Rhyolite

View Profile Email
« on: March 06, 2009, 04:17:08 pm »

Hi all,

I have compiled CS using MSVC Express 2008 and 2005 in both debug and release and then tried the various tutorial exe files in CS folder. I am running XP (32 bit) with an ATI X1950 PRO gfx card. I updated drivers to most recent after intial problems, so also tried with some a few months old. I downloaded the latest stable CS release 1.2.1 and corrresponding win32 libs (all from same page). Already had latest (Nov 2008) DirectX installed. Followed instructions in manual for MSVC to the letter but had a few errors with MSVC 2008 but still tried running tutorials (which worked with issues described below) then recompiled with MSVC 2005 (win32 enabled) without any errors and retried tutorials (still same issues). I used the CS\mk\msvc8 solution files in both cases and used 'Rebuild' to ensure everything recompiled.

Hehe, now to the problem! On first run a tutorial exe will work fine (eg. walktest) but subsequent runs (of any tutorial) exhibit strange behaviour. It is as if the 'timing' is not correct or sporadic. For example in 'walktest', when turning on the spot, the view will 'jump' suddenly. Also, the flames from the torches will begin to stutter very fast with the sprites spreading further out. Or in 'phystut', the bars will not spin at all or will spin really quickly and on occasion the app has just hung. Similar odd behaviour is noticeable in any tutorial I run after the first run of ANY tutorial. Rebooting my PC then fixes the problem for the first run of a tutorial, then the problems come back. I have tried exiting the programs with 'q', using 'esc' or just clicking the 'x' close icon. This was using default OpenGL renderer. I did try software mode in both debug and release, but it was so slow it was hard to tell if problem was there or not.

Any ideas.....?

Cheers,
Rhyo
Rhyolite

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 05:31:58 pm »

Played a bit more with this, and if I just leave 'Walktest' running for a few minutes without touching it (except to turn to face nearest wall torch) the same odd behaviour occurs ie. the flames from the wall torches begin to go wild...! Also if I then turn around using arrow keys, the view jumps about erratically (which it doesn't do to start with). Once this strange behaviour has occured, if I quit the program then restart, the problem is there immediatly.

Thanks in advance for any responses,
Rhyo
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 05:33:58 pm by Rhyolite » Logged
Vincent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 08:46:18 pm »

Hello,

could you check if the same happens for you with more recent CS versions
like 1.4 stable branch and 1.9 devel branch ?
There's no plan for any bugfix release of 1.2, and this maybe was fixed already...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: