Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 07:33:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9018 Posts in 2051 Topics by 8501 Members
Latest Member: Dominicgriffin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  Latest CS (Ubuntu Jaunty) build incomplete
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Latest CS (Ubuntu Jaunty) build incomplete  (Read 3407 times)
davewb

View Profile Email
« on: September 03, 2009, 08:47:41 pm »

Hi

I am a Planeshift dev who doesn't know an awful lot about CS, who has until recently relied on CS working "out of the box", so maybe I'm missing something obvious...

Up until a few weeks ago, everything was fine. But I had a few weeks away from PS, then came back to it, including upgrading CS to 1.9, rev 32946 and the CG toolkit to 2.2. All appears to build ok, but trying to run walktest, I get a bunch of warnings:

DLERROR (/home/dave/projects/planeshift-dev/cs/gl3d.so): /home/dave/projects/planeshift-dev/cs/libcrystalspace_opengl-1.9.so: undefined symbol: _Z8csStrNewPKc"

and

crystalspace.pluginmgr.loadplugin:
  could not load plugin 'crystalspace.graphics3d.opengl'

I did notice in the config.log errors like:
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-framework"
in g++ commands, resulting in failed configure compilations.

Please help, as I dont know where to look.

I am using Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04, GCC v4.3.3, with Nvidia 7100GS, driver 180.44.

Thanks
Dave
res
Develazyoper
CS Developer

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 10:53:03 pm »

Do a clean rebuild.
davewb

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 09:40:31 am »

That's one of  the first things I tried when I had the problem... to no avail.
res
Develazyoper
CS Developer

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 02:14:03 pm »

The symbol in question was "removed" from libcrystalspace (technically, it has been made inline). The fact that it is still referenced by libcrystalspace_opengl-1.9.so suggests that that library outdated.
davewb

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 05:35:03 pm »

Ok thanks res, I've done some more digging.

I may have missed some vital info here sad

I dont get the "...libcrystalspace_opengl-1.9.so: undefined symbol..." error using the clean rebuild, but only on my original CS install. It seems my libcrystalspace_opengl-1.9.so is dated 29th May, which is approx when I got diverted away from the PS project. Which ties up with your outdated library notion. I think the fundamental problem is actually I cannot build the open-gl lib anymore, its not been updated on my original install and its totally missing from my new 'clean' install.

Dave
res
Develazyoper
CS Developer

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 05:58:27 pm »

I think the fundamental problem is actually I cannot build the open-gl lib anymore, its not been updated on my original install and its totally missing from my new 'clean' install.

First step would probably be to check config.log whether the GL dependencies were detected. If they are indeed not detected the log should show the error that occured during detection.

If these are detected building only the opengl lib (jam crystalspace_opengl) should give one or more build errors that will need fixing.
davewb

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 04:16:48 pm »

As I said in my first post, I dont feel I know enough of CS to know what to look for, so I have taken the liberty of attaching my config.log file (it is gzipped and re- named to config.txt).

Thanks in anticipation,
Dave

* config.txt (25.94 KB - downloaded 165 times.)
res
Develazyoper
CS Developer

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 04:25:39 pm »

That file is corrupted. Besides, next time better name it config.log.gz or some such to avoid that the file name extension doesn't match the contents (which happens if you give compressed files an ending of ".txt").

Note that I said something about "GL dependencies". That suggests to look (ie, search) for "GL" or "OpenGL" or some such in config.log and read what it says.
davewb

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 04:37:56 pm »

I renamed it to config.txt (from config.log.gz) because this forum is very limited to file types it can attach - .log.gz is not permitted.
res
Develazyoper
CS Developer

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 05:11:29 pm »

I relaxed the file extension limitations.
davewb

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 03:14:42 pm »

Hehehe, its not what you know, but who you know.

Ive reattached the gzipped config.log.

I have also been looking into it a bit more based on your comments, and there is an OpenGL config error where it cant find GL lib (you must excuse my ignorance as I dont really know much about OpenGL itself, and what components are needed etc). But this failure to find the GL lib is puzzling me, as all used to be fine several weeks ago. Also, I am wondering if between then and now, I did my Hardy -> Jaunty upgrade (via intrepid) of Ubuntu, and for some reason that has reorganised these libraries for me.

Cheers
Dave

* config.log.gz (25.94 KB - downloaded 157 times.)
res
Develazyoper
CS Developer

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 03:19:55 pm »

Hehehe, its not what you know, but who you know.

That's dangerous. You rely on other people's mercy. What if I'd just stop posting?

I have also been looking into it a bit more based on your comments, and there is an OpenGL config error where it cant find GL lib (you must excuse my ignorance as I dont really know much about OpenGL itself, and what components are needed etc). But this failure to find the GL lib is puzzling me, as all used to be fine several weeks ago. Also, I am wondering if between then and now, I did my Hardy -> Jaunty upgrade (via intrepid) of Ubuntu, and for some reason that has reorganised these libraries for me.

You will need some -dev package(s) for OpenGL. They probably got scrubbed during that upgrade. (Finding out the exact package name is left as an exercise for the reader. Your package manager has a search function for exactly that.)
davewb

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 08:22:58 pm »

Smegging smeggity smeg.

It appears that the all important symbolic link libGL.so (to libGL.so.1) has disappeared. All the packages were there, but just that one little link must of got lost during the ubuntu upgrade. Sometimes I wonder why I do this for fun!

Anyway, it seems all is sorted. thanks res.

Dave
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: