Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 02:07:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9010 Posts in 2044 Topics by 8759 Members
Latest Member: Bajlande
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  Missing .dlls when executing 1.4 app outside of CS dir (SOLVED)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Missing .dlls when executing 1.4 app outside of CS dir (SOLVED)  (Read 837 times)
Crystalfur

View Profile Email
« on: April 10, 2010, 11:31:14 pm »

Windows 7
CS 1.4.0
MSVC++ 2008

I downloaded and compiled everything just fine.
It is only when I compile my own project -simple1- and try to execute it that errors occur.

The error shown is 'The program can't start because crystalspace-1.4-vc9.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Of course, that .dll is located in the location that I installed CS in. It doesn't seem to matter that copy that  dll and put it in with the .exe b/c then the error says that another .dll is missing.

All of the sample programs (inside the cs directory) work fine. In addition, when I move my .exe to the CS directory (where all of the other sample apps are located), it works fine.

This indicates to me that maybe the CRYSTAL environmental variable is not being accessed by my .exe? Somehow, the CS directory isn't linking up.

My .exe is located in C:\...Visual Studio 2008\Projects\...Release\
My CS directory is C:\CS
Environmental variable is:
name - CRYSTAL
value - C:\CS

For the past year or so I've been using 1.2.1 on a different computer and it worked fine.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 08:48:10 pm by Crystalfur » Logged
res
Develazyoper
CS Developer

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 02:52:03 pm »

This is just how DLLs work on Windows: They have to be in the current directory or a directory in PATH.
So you can either add the CS directory to PATH or copy DLLs (as you did). If more DLLs are reported missing - well, time to copy more files!
Crystalfur

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 08:47:36 pm »

Happy day.

I tried rebuilding CS w/ static libs and it works great now. I wouldn't have thought about that without your input.

Oftly Jonny on the spot with the responce, for which I'm greatful. Now that I've got this working I can devote time to what's important and neglect that 'calculus homework' nonsense, jk.

One more thought: for anyone with the same situation, after building with static libs, make sure you do NOT include the preprocessor 'CS_BUILD_SHARED_LIBS'
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: