Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 01:38:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9020 Posts in 2053 Topics by 8556 Members
Latest Member: Boshyeng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  Flight Simulator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Flight Simulator  (Read 1668 times)
melomania
« on: November 18, 2010, 04:00:54 pm »

Hi

I'm new to this forum. Crystal Space seems quite impressive to me.
I'm searching for a suitable game engine for a flight simulator game.
Do you folk think Crystal Space is suitable for that? And Why? Or why not?

Is there already some flight game made with Crystal Space?

I would like a flight simulation game where you can fly very high, even going into outer space.
Is this possible? Or do I get problems with the rendering system.
kickvb
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 01:25:32 am »

CS has many features that can be used for that (terrains, water shaders, LODs, etc, etc) but I don't think there has been many flight games made with it.

For a flight game, you would probably need nice clouds. There has been a GSOC on that topic a few years ago, but the system was not finished. You may want to look at it.

Another interesting topic would be the generation of very big terrains (or even planets as you propose). The libnoise library has been integrated recently into CS, it can generate coherent noise functions such as the Perlin noise and can be very useful to generate terrains or planets. There is an example for that in the libnoise web site, this wouldn't be that complex to extend this example to the setup of the CS's terrain system. Another example of Perlin noise has been made by Sueastside who used it to generate animated clouds in the csdemo application.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: