Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 11:44:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
8990 Posts in 2037 Topics by 7619 Members
Latest Member: Jessicaclayton
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Projects
| |-+  Project Discussion
| | |-+  Crystal Space or something like Ogre?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Crystal Space or something like Ogre?  (Read 2545 times)
Pittaxx

View Profile Email
« on: February 11, 2011, 06:03:24 pm »

I will be doing a dissertation project about automatic maze-like level generation for my degree.
I only need the generator for the project, and not the actual game itself, but where's the fun in that?

So I was thinking about what should I use to build the exact game. I am thinking about (pseudo?)3d third person RPG style. Nothing fancy, as I have little graphics experience.

As the title suggests, at this point I am looking into Crystal Space and Ogre, I know very little about each as of yet, but so far Ogre looks like much more work for obvious reasons.
But then again, I know very little of engines in general and would it make sense to stick with CS, knowing that I will be generating levels by external scripts?

kickvb
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 07:56:55 pm »

The main difference between Ogre and CS + CEL is that Ogre is a rendering engine while CS + CEL is a game engine.

That is, CS + CEL does not only help you to display 3D objects, but covers many other features such as 3D sounds, physics, animation, artifical intelligence, avatar and camera management, etc. Most of this is possible with Ogre by using external plugins, but all of these plugins are working with different versions of Ogre, and it is not an easy task to get all of them working together. CS + CEL provides all these features in a common framework and is therefore more suited for complex applications such as video games.

So, the choice depends on what you want to do exactly. If you don't need many things other than 3D rendering, then you may prefer Ogre as it has a better community and documentation. But if you plan for a bigger project or a long term usage of 3D content, then CS + CEL is probably more interesting.

I used the term "CS + CEL" because the whole project is actually split in two main sub-projects: the CS SDK with all low-level features, and CEL for the game logic.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: