Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 11, 2014, 09:31:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9005 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8147 Members
Latest Member: Quintwinn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  Beginner is totally confused
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Beginner is totally confused  (Read 3366 times)
Serran

View Profile Email
« on: March 05, 2011, 05:17:57 pm »

Hello,

for a long time I planned to get started with some game engine stuff and CS is my first choice. Finally I found some time to get started and I am totally confused now:

1:
On your homepage there is only version 1.4 mentioned. When I google I find docs about 1.9 and in the sourceforge repository I find a release 2.0 and not 1.9.
So what is a good version to get started?

2:
Checking out the CS_latest stops when loading data/water.zip. SVN is still running, but doesn't continue. I had to kill is hard by "-9" to get it stopped. I am running Ubuntu 10.4, which should be up to date.

3:
I did the tutorials on version 1.4. But now I want to do little more advanced stuff and made my own model in blender. I already realized, that b2cs only works with 2.4, which is currently okay for me.
It's an animated arm, which is waving. As genmesh, I can see it in viewmesh waving. As animesh, it is holding still. I created an action "wave" in NLA editor, but it is still not waving. In the "Ani" slide I see a list, containing "default" and "wave". But I cannot start it.
It seems this guy here http://www.crystalspace3d.org/forum/index.php/topic,1164.0.html had the same problem, but doesn't print his answer.
BTW: Loading Frankie in viewmesh, doesn't show any animation, too.
Since I can find a file "animesh.so" I guess it has compiled, correctly.

4:
As genmesh, the animation in viewmesh is corrupted. The hand is translating strangely. In blender it is looking fine.

Thanks in advance
res
Develazyoper
CS Developer

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 05:47:12 pm »

1:
On your homepage there is only version 1.4 mentioned. When I google I find docs about 1.9 and in the sourceforge repository I find a release 2.0 and not 1.9.
So what is a good version to get started?

1.4 is the last “stable” version. 2.0 is the next “stable” version, but not released yet. 1.9 is still what the development version (SVN trunk) is called...

To get started, the version doesn't matter _that_ much. However, 1.9 and 2.0 have seen more features etc. and work better with modern hardware, so starting with these may simplify some things in the future.

2:
Checking out the CS_latest stops when loading data/water.zip. SVN is still running, but doesn't continue. I had to kill is hard by "-9" to get it stopped. I am running Ubuntu 10.4, which should be up to date.

You considered that it may simply take very long, right? That file isn't small.
kickvb
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 02:42:07 pm »

You considered that it may simply take very long, right? That file isn't small.

That's most probably the problem you had. The whole CS trunk is a big chunk, you just have to be patient.

It's an animated arm, which is waving. As genmesh, I can see it in viewmesh waving. As animesh, it is holding still. I created an action "wave" in NLA editor, but it is still not waving. In the "Ani" slide I see a list, containing "default" and "wave". But I cannot start it.

You are right, I've never noticed it before but the GUI of viewmesh is a bit buggy for the animations. Just using the "Set" and "Clear" buttons should do the trick until I fix that.

BTW: Loading Frankie in viewmesh, doesn't show any animation, too.

This is not normal. The model in data/frankie/frankie.xml should have a big pack of animations.

As genmesh, the animation in viewmesh is corrupted. The hand is translating strangely. In blender it is looking fine.

You shouldn't use anymore genmeshes for animated stuff. They are more or less broken and are made obsolete by the animeshes which are much (much much) more powerful.
Serran

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 05:36:19 pm »

Hi and thanks for the fast replies!

I am currently checking out the trunk. I checked out data directory separately and it took over an hour. I don't think that's normal, since I was able to download some of the files via browser within seconds. Anyway I am currently checking out the remaining files which is exercising my patience.

On Frankie I was able to see the list of animation, but I wasn't able to play them. In this case I was just to unexperienced (nicer word for stupid). Using the "Add" button played the animations.
But using Add on my animation made viewmesh crash. I don't know what I made wrong earlier, but now it is working.

The hand animation is still corrupted, also as animesh. The bones are not directly connected (stippeled line in blender) and the original arm and armature I made with blender 2.5. The animation data was lost, when I opened it in blender 2.49 but the armature and model seemed to be the okay. In blender, the animation looks absolutely fine.

I'll soon have time to try 1.9. Maybe this fixes it. Or I connect the bones directly. I'll let you know!

Thanks
kickvb
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 10:15:17 pm »

I am currently checking out the trunk. I checked out data directory separately and it took over an hour. I don't think that's normal, since I was able to download some of the files via browser within seconds.

No that's not normal. It should be much more quicker than this, eg maximum 5 to 10 minutes depending on your connection.

On Frankie I was able to see the list of animation, but I wasn't able to play them. In this case I was just to unexperienced (nicer word for stupid). Using the "Add" button played the animations.
But using Add on my animation made viewmesh crash. I don't know what I made wrong earlier, but now it is working.

I took a look, fixed a few problems and implemented some missing functionalities. You can update to trunk and it should behave better.

The hand animation is still corrupted, also as animesh. The bones are not directly connected (stippeled line in blender) and the original arm and armature I made with blender 2.5. The animation data was lost, when I opened it in blender 2.49 but the armature and model seemed to be the okay. In blender, the animation looks absolutely fine.

What have you used to export it from Blender? For animeshes, the current only good solution is the trunk version of blender2crystal. We'll hope to have an easier solution in some near future.
Serran

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 11:18:54 pm »

Okay,

it didn't take that long this time to check out. I think it was less than 20 minutes the complete trunk.
I compiled now 1.9 and I like the avatartest application. Especially Frankie looking at me.

But, I cannot run viewmesh. The reason seems to be the missing CEGUI. Ubuntu 10.4 installs 0.6.2-4 of CEGUI. I also installed the dev packages. On 1.4 CS viewmesh compiled.

I tricked Jamconfig to build with 0.6.2 but during compilation I get errors like:
Code:
/home/.../CS_latest/apps/tests/smoketest/smoketest.cpp:182: error: ‘class CEGUI::SchemeManager’ has no member named ‘create’
/home/.../CS_latest/apps/tests/smoketest/smoketest.cpp:186: error: ‘class CEGUI::FontManager’ has no member named ‘createFreeTypeFont’

Viewmesh didn't compile.
I guess 0.6.2-4 is not recent enough. But this is, what pgk-config during configure already found out.

I manually installed manually CEGUI 0.7.5 and set it for configure with "--with-CEGUI". This time it is recent enough and it compiled. I set "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" to find installed CEGUI and when I start viewmesh it says:
Code:
CEGUI::FileIOException in file CEGUIXercesParser.cpp(107) : XercesParser::parseXMLFile - An error occurred at line nr. 22 while parsing XML file 'ice.looknfeel'.  Additional information: Element 'Property' is not valid for content model: '((Area,VertAlignment,HorzAlignment),Property)'
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'CEGUI::FileIOException'
  what():  CEGUI::FileIOException in file CEGUIXercesParser.cpp(107) : XercesParser::parseXMLFile - An error occurred at line nr. 22 while parsing XML file 'ice.looknfeel'.  Additional information: Element 'Property' is not valid for content model: '((Area,VertAlignment,HorzAlignment),Property)'
Aborted

I made an svn update to get the latest version and rebuild. But still the same message.

So it might be too new and incompatible?
The doc page http://www.crystalspace3d.org/docs/online/manual/CEGUI.html sais, you need version 0.4.1 ot 0.5.0,

In the moment I'd really appreciate tools like viewmesh, since I am not advanced enough to build my own tools without CEGUI.

For export, I use blender2crystal, the tarbal on http://leapingcat.org/blender2crystal/index.php/Download I don't know, if there are differences to the svn trunk.

Thank you very much. I really made progress this weekend.

kickvb
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 11:55:46 pm »

Code:
[quote author=Serran link=topic=2063.msg8910#msg8910 date=1299449934]
Viewmesh didn't compile.
I guess 0.6.2-4 is not recent enough. But this is, what pgk-config during configure already found out.

Unfortunately, CS uses advanced features of CeGUI which are available only in their very last releases. And these releases are of not course not yet available in the Ubuntu repository, so you need to install them manually.

In fact, I'm not even sure that the CeGUI plugin can work currently in trunk under GNU/Linux. This is on my TODO list, I'll try to look at this this week.

Meanwhile, you may be able to have it running by modifying the CeGUI files in data/cegui etc and removing the problematic property.
Serran

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 09:21:26 am »

Take your time!
I am not in a hurry. First I will try to fix my model and armature. I read a little bit in Blender Essential about rigging and it seems, that I made some ugly stuff anyway. So far I can work on 1.4.

Thanks
Serran

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 10:30:22 pm »

Hello again,

I reanimated my test model. Last time I used autokeyframe and LocRotScale. This was working fine in Blender, but not well in CS. This time I only keyed Rotation and I have 3 wonderful actions now.

But: In Viewmesh I don't succeed to combine the animations. When I add one, the previous stops but remains in the same position. E.g. I have a "grab" animation for the hand and a "wave" animation only for the arm. The arm is moving up and down, when I play "wave". When I start "grab" the arm stops where it just was and the hand starts grabbing.
(Im am currently working on 1.4 again)

Anyway, I made a model, which is working and I can continue now, working with CS.

Thanks
kickvb
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 03:46:05 pm »

I reanimated my test model. Last time I used autokeyframe and LocRotScale. This was working fine in Blender, but not well in CS. This time I only keyed Rotation and I have 3 wonderful actions now.

The blender2crystal script only export the keyed rotations and offsets, so if you use animation constraints you would first need to use eg a script to bake the result in some keyframes before exporting it to CS.

For which effect do you use the constraints in Blender? Are you sure this effect isn't achievable in CS, eg with the 'retarget' or 'lookat' animation nodes?

But: In Viewmesh I don't succeed to combine the animations. When I add one, the previous stops but remains in the same position. E.g. I have a "grab" animation for the hand and a "wave" animation only for the arm. The arm is moving up and down, when I play "wave". When I start "grab" the arm stops where it just was and the hand starts grabbing.

The "add animation" feature in viewmesh is currently only valid for Cal3D models (and maybe genmeshes). This is not yet implemented for animeshes.

In fact, this problem is currently not that well covered by the actual animation nodes. It would need eg a FIFO node in order to schedule easily new animations to be added.

Meanwhile, a way to achieve the result would be to have a 'blend' node with two children: one for the main body animation, one for the waved arm. The waved animation is stopped most of the time, and when you want to add it, then you simply call "Play()" on it. If needed, you can also manipulate the blend weights to blend it in and out (although this feature should be made easier to use).
kickvb
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 02:53:50 pm »

In fact, I'm not even sure that the CeGUI plugin can work currently in trunk under GNU/Linux. This is on my TODO list, I'll try to look at this this week.

I haven't still got the time to look precisely at the problem, but it seems that you can launch any CeGUI applications from CS under GNU/Linux if you first copy all the files from data/cegui into data/nameofthepplication. It works for example with viewmesh if you copy the files into data/viewmesh.
Serran

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 10:35:31 pm »

Thanks again, but currently working with 1.4 is fine.
Now I try to get familiar with the software interface of Animesh. Since it is a complex tree interface, I am did not really get into it, yet.
Is there a tutorial for skeletal animation or a piece of code, where I can have a look at?

Thanks
kickvb
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 06:18:27 am »

Thanks again, but currently working with 1.4 is fine.
Now I try to get familiar with the software interface of Animesh. Since it is a complex tree interface, I am did not really get into it, yet.
Is there a tutorial for skeletal animation or a piece of code, where I can have a look at?

For animeshes you should really go in 2.0 or trunk since it has received many fixes and improvements since 1.4. The API doc too has been improved.
The main source of examples for animeshes is avatartest (in 2.0/trunk too). Otherwise you can look at csbias or viewmesh too.

I also posted recently a summary of the work that was made since 1.4, it's here.
Serran

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 09:35:45 pm »

Hey,

I got it running. I commented each <Property>-tag in each <Child> tag in data/cegui/ice.looknfeel and copied all files from data/cegui to data/viewmesh,...
It's working now! I was even able to play csbias.

BTW: For those who have the same problem and don't know how to do: Comments in XML are done by <!-- and -->
Look up all <Child> sections and comment out the tags with Property, like here:
Code:
      <Child type="ice/StaticText" nameSuffix="__auto_name__">
<!--        <Property name="FrameEnabled" value="False" />
        <Property name="BackgroundEnabled" value="False" /> -->
        <Area>
          <Dim type="LeftEdge" ><AbsoluteDim value="0" /></Dim>
          <Dim type="TopEdge" ><AbsoluteDim value="0" /></Dim>
          <Dim type="Width" ><UnifiedDim scale="0.6" type="Width" /></Dim>
          <Dim type="Height" ><FontDim type="LineSpacing" padding="8" /></Dim>
        </Area>
      </Child>

I also took a deeper look into avatartest and I think I get a better feeling for Animesh now.
But is there a way to create the MorphNodes and LookAtNodes with Blender and export them via blender2crystal?
kickvb
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 01:51:31 pm »

But is there a way to create the MorphNodes and LookAtNodes with Blender and export them via blender2crystal?

There is no MorphNode but that's not the question.
There was a start for an editor of the animation nodes in blender2crystal, but I never used it and it doesn't cover the new nodes that have been added since then, like the LookAt one.

We started internally the work on a graph editor for CS that would be used for editing the animation tree. Hopefully it will be usable in some months.

Meanwhile the easiest solution is probably to edit the tree from the XML description. There is no documentation on that process, but you can have a look at plugins\mesh\animesh\persist\skeleton2\skeleton2ldr.cpp to see what's the exact syntax.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 01:53:51 pm by kickvb » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: