Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:01:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9011 Posts in 2044 Topics by 8812 Members
Latest Member: Beverlychoi
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  Is Crystal Space dying?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Is Crystal Space dying?  (Read 23188 times)
Martin cs

View Profile Email
« on: April 29, 2011, 04:42:35 am »

I have been searching for an easy to use game engine. I found Crystal Space to be very interesting and meeting my requirements. However, it appears that the community is not very active and that the development is very slow (if progressing at all). Other communities are much more active. What is the reason for this? Is everyone migrating to the Blender Game Engine?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 07:30:43 am »

I don't see how you get this impression. The community is very active and there are lots of interesting developments going on. See for example the main Crystal Space site where there are new news items every week. So no, CS is still very alive and kicking. See also project ares (link on main CS site) which has recently been announced.

Greetings,
kickvb
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 03:54:08 pm »

For sure CS is very active currently. You can have a look at the trac timeline to see that almost every day comes with its pack of new features.

The first release candidate for CS 2.0 is also planned very soon: there are still one or two blocking bugs to get rid of, then it may be released. And this 2.0 will contain a huge amount of new features.

There is one domain where CS has never been good: having a good public image. For example the CS website is ugly (no offence Wink ), and the forums are not that frequented by the developers. So this may appear a little bit dead, but if you would see the spam we got on the developer communication channels...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:55:46 pm by kickvb » Logged
Martin cs

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 03:36:17 am »

Thank you for your replies. I might be willing to contribute to the documentation. Are there any plans to work on a book on CrystalSpace?

One remark on the website: It does not help to promote CyrstalSpace if the latest date in the "Events" section is 2007 (CrystalSpace main website). You might want to remove the section.

I still like the project a lot!

kickvb
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 05:32:10 pm »

I might be willing to contribute to the documentation. Are there any plans to work on a book on CrystalSpace?

It's probably a bit too early before working on a book (but good idea), a first step would be to update the manual which is starving of affection since a few years. That's clearly a topic where help is welcome and where many people can contribute without needing a deep knowledge of the engine.

The main things to know for contibuting is that the manual is generated using Texinfo from the files in 'CS/trunk/docs/texinfo'. Contributions can be sent eg through svn patches on the CS bug tracker.

One remark on the website: It does not help to promote CyrstalSpace if the latest date in the "Events" section is 2007 (CrystalSpace main website). You might want to remove the section.

Hehe, thanks for the suggestion. I've renamed it as 'Past events' as a quick fix...
Crystalfur

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 08:54:14 pm »

I'm glad to hear that CS is still going strong. I was getting the impression that it was slowely halting also. The main mailing list has been unusually quiet these past few months.

I think its a *bit* of a stretch to say there are weekly news updates to the main site. BTW, Ares looks awesome. That is certainly proof that some dedicated work is still going on.

The trac timeline is news to me and it's good to see frequent contributions. On that note, the administrators where I've been doing some work used to use trac. They don't like to talk about that anymore. Now they use Redmine for project management and Redmine Chronical for their documentation.

One more thing, how is CS 2.0 coming along? Is there a release date? (excited). I could also help with documentation if needed. I don't know everything, and we should probably wait for 2.0 stable, but I know some things currently in the doc. are out of date (e.g., the VSC++ sections are not in line with 2010, but that's kind of minor)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 12:19:57 am by Crystalfur » Logged
kickvb
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 04:57:44 pm »

One more thing, how is CS 2.0 coming along? Is there a release date? (excited). I could also help with documentation if needed. I don't know everything, and we should probably wait for 2.0 stable, but I know some things currently in the doc. are out of date (e.g., the VSC++ sections are not in line with 2010, but that's kind of minor)

There are no real obstruction left for releasing a 2.0 candidate, so it will probably be really close to the actual state of the 2.0 branch (at http://crystalspace3d.org/trac/CS/browser/CS/branches/release/V2.0).

Contributions to the manual are welcome, even if it is only some small fixes.
Crystalfur

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 11:35:44 pm »

OK, I would like to contribute to the doc. How do I go about doing this? Based on the Contribute page, do I really need to provide a few new issues first? I've been around the forum long enough that I think I should seem rather harmless.
kickvb
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 12:35:46 pm »

Based on the Contribute page, do I really need to provide a few new issues first? I've been around the forum long enough that I think I should seem rather harmless.

This protection is not only against harmful behaviors, but also because there are many things to know before comitting to the repository, and most people won't likely do it correctly.

To start contributing, you can either:
- create an account on the CS tracker and create some tickets for some patches to be committed, or
- contact an administrator to ask for a developer access and discuss with him before committing your first changes (I've send you a personal email for that case)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: