Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 05:40:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9005 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8251 Members
Latest Member: Reidkendall
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  Correctly deploying a CS app with DLLs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Correctly deploying a CS app with DLLs  (Read 662 times)
aVoX

View Profile Email
« on: February 17, 2012, 10:42:42 pm »

Hello!
I want to build Crystal Space with DLLs for the sake of easier updating of the final result. But when I tried a testing application on another computer, i found out that simply copying of crystalspace-2.0-vc100.dll into the directory of the executable doesn't work. Basically the application needs crystalspace-2.0-vc100.dll, libz-cs.dll, engine.dll, and vfs.dll but it also needs the DLLs of all plugins used.
Is there somehow a way to avoid a DLL nest like this (except static linking)? Otherwise the configurations ReleaseWithDlls/DebugWithDlls would be pretty pointless and updating an app would be heck of a work.

Thanks in advance,
aVoX.
res
Develazyoper
CS Developer

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:28:49 pm »

Well, there's a middle ground between having all plugins as (separate) DLLs and static linking everything into one executable: you can have the plugins your app needs built into a single DLL.

If you want to see how this looks like, open the “wksstatic” solution and build walktest_static, but in one of the  “with DLLs” mode. If you check the dependencies of walktest_static.exe with Dependency Walker (or some similar tool), you'll see it depends on the standard crystalspace* DLLs and one “plugins” DLL (into which basically all the plugins were built).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: