Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 05:09:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9018 Posts in 2051 Topics by 8478 Members
Latest Member: Annaatkinson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  Cannot install a usable crystalspace library anywhere
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cannot install a usable crystalspace library anywhere  (Read 3771 times)
ss8913

View Profile Email
« on: August 29, 2012, 11:00:24 pm »

I have so far tried this on Fedora 16, Fedora 17, CentOS 6.2, and Cygwin under Windows 7 home premium.

Cygwin: won't even build.  Claims it needs wfopen() which is a MSFC class which Cygwin doesn't provide.  end of line - crystalspace's docs say cygwin is supported, but this seems particularly non-supported to me Smiley
All of the Linuxes: builds great.  Runs and displays a white screen sometimes with some 3D artifacts, otherwise just white.  Yes I'm running linux under VMWare, but VMWare is supposedly passing through the 3D acceleration, and other 3D apps in the same VM work fine (ie, vegastrike).

I get similar results using 2.0 or the latest release from SVN, except that 2.0-stable won't compile under fedora 17.  I'm kind of stuck here - I've been a programmer since 1981 so I feel kind of dumb not being able to get this to work right, but I keep running into roadblock after roadblock just getting the basic stuff up and running, and after following the docs to the letter.  Please advise Smiley
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 07:03:06 am »

I have so far tried this on Fedora 16, Fedora 17, CentOS 6.2, and Cygwin under Windows 7 home premium.

Cygwin: won't even build.  Claims it needs wfopen() which is a MSFC class which Cygwin doesn't provide.  end of line - crystalspace's docs say cygwin is supported, but this seems particularly non-supported to me Smiley
All of the Linuxes: builds great.  Runs and displays a white screen sometimes with some 3D artifacts, otherwise just white.  Yes I'm running linux under VMWare, but VMWare is supposedly passing through the 3D acceleration, and other 3D apps in the same VM work fine (ie, vegastrike).

I get similar results using 2.0 or the latest release from SVN, except that 2.0-stable won't compile under fedora 17.  I'm kind of stuck here - I've been a programmer since 1981 so I feel kind of dumb not being able to get this to work right, but I keep running into roadblock after roadblock just getting the basic stuff up and running, and after following the docs to the letter.  Please advise Smiley

I recommend you use MSYS/Mingw instead of cygwin. It works for sure (I'm using it).

Greetings,
ss8913

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 06:22:49 pm »

I was thinking about that... but I really want to get it working more under Linux than under Windows, to be honest... I've gotten other things like GameKit to build and run fine on the same environment, I'm just stumped as to why CS won't work.  It compiles fine, it just.. doesn't work.  not even the simple tests.  I've googled all the warnings that come up in 'verbose' mode but I'm not finding anything.  Any debug output that I could generate and post here which might be helpful?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 06:50:23 pm »

Can you tell me your exact 3D hardware specs? Do you have a recent OpenGL driver? Can you give me the output of -verbose=-scf?

Thanks
ss8913

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 12:35:22 am »

Attached is the log with walktest (debug build) ran with the options you specified.

GL information:
OpenGL renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (vendor: VMware, Inc.) version 2.1
  Mesa 7.11.2

running on Fedora 16 under VMWare Fusion 3.x (under OSX).  Same results under VMWare Player on Win7, VM in question also running F16.  Other Linux 3D apps (such as vegastrike, the GameKit library, etc) work in these same VMs.

The above was generated with the latest pull from SVN - the only difference at runtime is I get a *black* window instead of a *white* window (with 2.0-stable).  I don't see the crystalspace logo in the window in either case, nor anything else, save some of the debug messages that are displayed as text inside the crystalspace app window (in addition to inside the terminal from which the app was launched), which then go away and I am presented with the aforementioned homogenous black or white window, depending on the version I'm using.

* walktest-log.txt (20.9 KB - downloaded 134 times.)
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 07:04:00 am »

Hmm, VMWare OpenGL driver... I guess nobody has tried that before. I can't give you a lot of help on that one as I have no idea on the status of that working but you should know that CS is rather sensitive to a good working OpenGL implementation so perhaps this is the problem. You can't run CS natively on the OS itself?

Greetings,
ss8913

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 05:55:34 pm »

I suppose I will have to try that on a native Linux box.. I have an older laptop with an nvidia 7950GTX in it which should suffice, but at present it's running a much older Linux distro, so I need to reinstall it with fedora 16/17/18.  It's too bad, though, all other OpenGL apps work fine in this VM - this might be something you want to address in code?  It's cheap and easy to replicate this, just get vmware fusion or player (player is free), install a fedora VM, build crystalspace.  I'm happy to help test if you wish.  In the meantime I'll chase down getting a native Linux install going on the other box and try it again.
ss8913

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 01:53:57 am »

So 10 months later I'm revisiting this on a fully-updated fedora 18 instance, again in VMWare - however, F18 has vmwgfx-SVGA3D which has better direct interface to the host video card.. so 'walktest' now works.

However, I still cannot get the stable 2.0 to compile under fedora 17+ at all.  It compiles on 16, but on 17/18 I'm getting compiler errors in libcrystalspace...
SVN head seems to work.  I'm not getting the water, fire, or some other shader effects but I'm betting that's probably [still] a vmwgfx issue.  I'd really like to be able to use the stable/supported 2.0 however.. is there a patch to make it build on newer Fedoras?

The core problem seems to be this, and related errors:

g++ -c -o ./out/linux/optimize/libs/csutil/threadmanager.o -I/root/crystalsp
ace/crystalspace-src-2.0/. -I./include -I/root/crystalspace/crystalspace-src-2.0
/./include -pipe -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas -fvisibility=hidden -mtune=generic -
mfpmath=sse -I/usr/local/include -DNVALGRIND -fno-exceptions -fvisibility-inline
s-hidden -DNVALGRIND -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -O3 -fomit-frame-pointe
r -ffast-math -g2 -DCS_CRYSTALSPACE_LIB -fPIC -DCS_CRYSTALSPACE_LIB -DCS_PLUGIN_
META_EXT='".csplugin"' -DCS_PLUGIN_EXT='".so"' -I/root/crystalspace/crystalspace
-src-2.0/libs/csutil/ptmalloc -I/root/crystalspace/crystalspace-src-2.0/libs/csu
til/ptmalloc/sysdeps/pthread -DCS_CONFIGDIR='"/usr/local/etc/crystalspace-2.0"'
-DCS_PLUGINDIR='"/usr/local/lib/crystalspace-2.0"' -DCS_COMPILER_NAME_AND_VERSIO
N='"GCC_4.7"'  /root/crystalspace/crystalspace-src-2.0/libs/csutil/threadmanager
.cpp

In file included from ./include/csutil/threading/thread.h:24:0,
                 from ./include/csutil/threadjobqueue.h:36,
                 from ./include/csutil/threadmanager.h:25,
                 from /root/crystalspace/crystalspace-src-2.0/libs/csutil/thread
manager.cpp:22:
./include/csutil/refarr.h: In instantiation of ‘csRef<T> csRefArray<T, Allocator
, CapacityHandler>::Pop() [with T = iThreadReturn; Allocator = CS::Memory::Alloc
atorMalloc; CapacityHandler = csArrayCapacityFixedGrow<16>]’:
/root/crystalspace/crystalspace-src-2.0/libs/csutil/threadmanager.cpp:192:38:   
required from here
./include/csutil/refarr.h:114:5: error: ‘SetSize’ was not declared in this scope
, and no declarations were found by argument-dependent lookup at the point of in
stantiation [-fpermissive]
./include/csutil/refarr.h:114:5: note: declarations in dependent base ‘csArray<i
ThreadReturn*, csRefArrayElementHandler<iThreadReturn*>, CS::Memory::AllocatorMa
lloc, csArrayCapacityFixedGrow<16> >’ are not found by unqualified lookup       
./include/csutil/refarr.h:114:5: note: use ‘this->SetSize’ instead
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: