Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 05:46:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9018 Posts in 2051 Topics by 8505 Members
Latest Member: Tonem
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  Absolute Beginner trying everything - nothing works
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Absolute Beginner trying everything - nothing works  (Read 2017 times)
crockett

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2012, 01:48:18 pm »

Hi.  For some reason, all of my attempts at building CS fail.  I wonder if my system doesn't meet the requirements:

CS 2.0
cs-win32libs-2.0_002
Windows XP (running on bootcamp Mac OS X)
MINGW / MSYS
Visual C++ 2010
Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family

I have tried building Crystal Space using the documentation for Visual C++ but with no success.  Currently I am working with MINGW/MSYS and I followed the documentation here: http://www.crystalspace3d.org/docs/online/manual/MinGW.html but I can't seem to get any results.  How would I know if it was successfully built?  I've tried running the walktest tutorial but usually get the error 'command not found' or something like that.

I'm a beginner with this stuff.  But I was hoping to get it working so I could show it off in a presentation I have for one of my upper-level computer science classes.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 01:53:46 pm »

First thing you should do is to get comfortable with how to run commands via the shell. To run walktest from the place where you build CS you should use something like ./walktest (i.e. the '.' and the '/' are important). If that doesn't work I'd like to see the complete output of your build.

Greetings,
crockett

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 01:16:01 pm »

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to reply.  I believe I got it to build now.  But now I'm having trouble actually running walktest.  I have experience running linux shell commands and C programs from terminal in Mac through the class I'm taking right now (would it be better to work with Crystal Space through Xcode and the terminal on my Mac??).  I'm not sure how to give you the output of anything I do, but this is what happens when I try to run walktest:

BOOTCAMP /c/cs
$ ./walktest

A 'Crystal Space Standar Test Application' window appears and looks like it's very close to launching the 3d application.  I see some white words pass by very quickly in the window.  Then a 'Visual Studio Just-In-Time Debugger' window appears.  It says that "an unhandled win32 exception occurred in walktest.exe[2952]".  It then prompts me to debug it in Microsoft Visual Studio 2010.  When I go to the debugger, it says "unhandled exception at 0x00000000 in walktest.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000."

I feel like I'm really close to getting this thing to work.  Any ideas?  Thank you so much for helping me out.  It's so good to have helpful places like this.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:17:33 pm by crockett » Logged
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 01:19:25 pm »

Hmm, strange. You do have a bit of a weird setup though. i.e. XP on MacOS/X? I doubt that anyone tried to
get CS work on that kind of setup. Also your video card is less then ideal for CS. Prefered cards are nvidia and ATI/AMD.

That said, it shouldn't crash but at the moment I have no clue what could be wrong. You could perhaps try to
configure CS in debug mode and run walktest in the gdb debugger. But if you don't have experience with that it may
be a bit hard to do.

So no really good suggestions atm. I suspect your relatively weird setup is the cause of the problem.

Greetings,
crockett

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 04:05:23 am »

You're right.  This is a weird set up.  Just an update so far: I uninstalled XP and installed Windows 7 (which I've been meaning to do for a while anyways).  The first thing I did after a clean install was follow the documentation to build and run Crystal Space through MinGW.  I'm still getting the same result.  The only difference is that now I don't have VisualC++ anymore, so this is what happens:

./walktest
the Crystal Space Standard Test Application window appears
the whole screen turns black for a second
a Windows warning message appears that offers two solutions, 1) check online for a solution and close the program, 2) close the program.

Windows is so helpful.  Anyhow, I figure the problem is one of two things: either CS won't run on a bootcamp partition or my graphics card is terribly insufficient.  I wish I knew definitively which one it was. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 04:07:54 am by crockett » Logged
crockett

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 01:53:53 am »

So can somebody tell me if the behavior I mentioned before might be due to my inadequate system (like lack of a good graphics card)?  I'm sorry to keep pushing this but I'm very close to buying another computer just for this reason.  Certainly there must have been other people who have tried using CS on an insufficient set up... right?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 07:46:07 am »

I suspect it is the bootcamp thing. But anyway, you might try to update your graphics drivers. Sometimes that could help.

Otherwise I really have no clue.

Greetings,
crockett

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 08:45:03 am »

Jorrit, I took your suspicion to heart and tested this on a separate laptop without separate partitions for different operating systems and discovered something interesting, IT WORKS!  Apparently, Crystal Space doesn't like partitioned systems (at least not bootcamp partitions).  So I'm still considering getting a new computer because all of mine are extremely out of date and I would very much like to work with CS.  Now I just need to figure out how to code with MINGW / MSYS.  Thanks for your replies and greetings to you.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: