Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 06:11:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9014 Posts in 2047 Topics by 8458 Members
Latest Member: Cex1145xu
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  Wierd Clipping Glitches?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wierd Clipping Glitches?  (Read 2027 times)
moothecow

Email
« on: July 31, 2005, 03:52:19 am »

Hello,

I'm having a very, very odd and inconsistant problem with the CystalSpace.  Solid walls glitch in and out all the time.

First of all, I'm running this on MSYS, on windows.  Using the NEW rendering engine and the latest binary release, not the CVS release.  Using the OLD rendering engine makes the problem worse.  OpenGL is the graphics package.  Software Rendering doesn't have this problem, but despite upgrading my drivers, a) CS crashes sooner or later and b) the lighting is thrown out, and c) some textures show up as black.

I'll give you an example (I recorded a camera thing, but I'm not sure where the output goes).  In the WalkTest, right when you start, there's a doorway in front of you (the yellow brick one).  If you walk up to it and then back...at a certain distance, the wall texture "floats" (doesn't move closer/farther when you move) or twitches like crazy...then if you keep walking, resets.

Also, if you peek through the doorway (move view left/right from where you are), the texture "smears"--the same small 8px-wide area gets repeated with the same twitchyness.

What it is is that, if you go beyond a clipped area into "oblivion", the display gets rendered very oddly.  That's what's happening.  Like in simple1/simple2, if you walk through the wall, that wierd clipping effect.

Under the Graphics Canvas Plugin Test (g2dtest.exe), the line-clipping, I see a red line on the bottom of the first box, right side of the second box.  Font Clip test, middle box has a full red border 1px wide inside the green rectangle.

If you guys have any suggestions, let me know.  I'm not sure what the problem is, exactly.  Is it CS, or is it my installation?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 06:00:52 am »

Hello,

I'm having a very, very odd and inconsistant problem with the CystalSpace.  Solid walls glitch in and out all the time.

First of all, I'm running this on MSYS, on windows.  Using the NEW rendering engine and the latest binary release, not the CVS release.  Using the OLD rendering engine makes the problem worse.  OpenGL is the graphics package.  Software Rendering doesn't have this problem, but despite upgrading my drivers, a) CS crashes sooner or later and b) the lighting is thrown out, and c) some textures show up as black.

I'll give you an example (I recorded a camera thing, but I'm not sure where the output goes).  In the WalkTest, right when you start, there's a doorway in front of you (the yellow brick one).  If you walk up to it and then back...at a certain distance, the wall texture "floats" (doesn't move closer/farther when you move) or twitches like crazy...then if you keep walking, resets.

Also, if you peek through the doorway (move view left/right from where you are), the texture "smears"--the same small 8px-wide area gets repeated with the same twitchyness.

What it is is that, if you go beyond a clipped area into "oblivion", the display gets rendered very oddly.  That's what's happening.  Like in simple1/simple2, if you walk through the wall, that wierd clipping effect.

Under the Graphics Canvas Plugin Test (g2dtest.exe), the line-clipping, I see a red line on the bottom of the first box, right side of the second box.  Font Clip test, middle box has a full red border 1px wide inside the green rectangle.

If you guys have any suggestions, let me know.  I'm not sure what the problem is, exactly.  Is it CS, or is it my installation?

What is your 3D card that you're using?

Greetings,
moothecow

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 05:02:27 pm »

The integrated one on my motherboard (ASUS).  Windows states the controller is an Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 11:52:33 am »

The integrated one on my motherboard (ASUS).  Windows states the controller is an Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller.

Hmm... it is possible CS doesn't work very well with that. None of the CS devs has such a card I'm afraid. We all use nVidia/ATI cards.

Greetings,
sunshine
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 09:38:31 am »

Note also that the new renderer has been much improved in the CVS version of CS, and many bugs have been fixed. You might want to see if the CVS version works better for you. (The old renderer has been dropped completely in the CVS version.)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: