Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 12:16:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9026 Posts in 2046 Topics by 9140 Members
Latest Member: Corrycrifford
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  We have a MMORPG project using CS,but have some problems ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: We have a MMORPG project using CS,but have some problems ...  (Read 5842 times)
RomeoCN
« on: January 31, 2005, 03:22:42 am »

Hi guys ,
 We have a MMORPG project using CS,but have some problems . Beacause our game world (an out door scene ) is pretty large ,we  need some LOD and culling technic.My idea is using Terrain Engine ,loading big heightmaps  and using doors or some special way to link them together .but i don't no how to write a terrain world file ,the one in the direction :cs/data /terrain is too simple to load separable textures
So could anyone send me a terrain world file ,or give some suggestion ?

And another problem is   collision detection,i don't known how it works when CS do it with terrain.

Thank you!
Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 09:24:09 am »

Quote from: RomeoCN
Hi guys ,
 We have a MMORPG project using CS,but have some problems . Beacause our game world (an out door scene ) is pretty large ,we  need some LOD and culling technic.My idea is using Terrain Engine ,loading big heightmaps  and using doors or some special way to link them together .but i don't no how to write a terrain world file ,the one in the direction :cs/data /terrain is too simple to load separable textures
So could anyone send me a terrain world file ,or give some suggestion ?

And another problem is   collision detection,i don't known how it works when CS do it with terrain.

Thank you!

I don't understand why terrain is not sufficient for you? What exactly do you want to do that is not done by terrain? Also I recommend looking at terrainf as that is a lot faster.

Collision detection with terrain is 100% same as collision detection with other objects.

Greetings,
dingobloo
Idle Extrordinare.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 10:46:58 am »

Recently jorrit commited a nice little tool called Heightmapgen which will take a mesh you specify in a config file (/CS/Data/Config/Heightmapgen.cfg) and create a heightmap and worldfile for the terrain engine. it will by default automatically create a material map based on height, this should be changed to a hand painted one and you will have to generate you're own base-map.
dirkk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 11:11:33 am »

You mean this one?. Looks pretty interesting, got to have a look at it.
RomeoCN
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 07:02:57 am »

Quote from: dingobloo
Recently jorrit commited a nice little tool called Heightmapgen which will take a mesh you specify in a config file (/CS/Data/Config/Heightmapgen.cfg) and create a heightmap and worldfile for the terrain engine. it will by default automatically create a material map based on height, this should be changed to a hand painted one and you will have to generate you're own base-map.

Thank you dingobloo,
  I'm studying heightmapgen now,but heightmapgen.exe can't find worldfile automatically, i don't know how to write the proper path,even if i changed the program,i can't load proper resoures(textures,meshes ..),
so dingobloo,my dear friend,can you send me something that i can use to  generate a terrain world.
i need a 3d terrain editor and create a heightmap terrain in CS worldfile!
RomeoCN
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 07:05:24 am »

Our company must make a mmo game demo at around this October,and
the server/client network part seems easy,the biggest problem is
that we need a big terrain about 20 minutes at each direction.So
my idea is  separate it to several pieces,i know PlaneShift Crystal
Blue is much similar to this ,but his scene is too small,he loads a
whole mesh in the scene ,which we can't imitate.I think we must use
terrain engine.My task is to develop a terrain edit tool to edit a terrain scene(generate and edit heightmap terrain in 3d view) add texture ,load in game objects.

But I don't know how can I complie a heightmap ,3ds meshes and textures ,lights to CS worldfile,and i don't exactly know how a "base map" and shader work in CS.

So need your help!     Thank you !
Arianna

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 10:46:33 pm »

I don't understand what PS does.. chomping the terrain in pieces?
I think it is simply matters of sectors management.

Maybe the dynavis system for the culling could be a solution? I don't know.. I am not an expert of these things, but I really don't understand what you are gonna do!

Ary
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: