Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 05:13:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
8990 Posts in 2037 Topics by 7618 Members
Latest Member: Tymqwaro
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  Geometry deformation/destrucability
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Geometry deformation/destrucability  (Read 2504 times)
Trent

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2005, 04:52:06 pm »

Hey,
Introduction first: I've been playing around with the CS engine for a couple of months in my rather limited spare time. Although I have some knowledge of coding and gamedesign, I do lack experience and decided to gain some by creating a project using CS.

Now onto the question. I was wondering how well CS would lend it's self to world destructability as used in "Red Faction" or something similar. The Dynamic Worlds page in the manual mentions about using portals to achieve this effect, but i'm quite unsure as to how well that would work, even how it would work. I was wondering if any one had any thoughts or experience with this?

Please note that this is more out of curriosity than the actual want to implement it into my project at this time as it would not really fit into the gameplay, but I am interested in attempting it in a future project.

Cheers,
Trent
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 09:56:58 am »

Quote from: Trent
Hey,
Introduction first: I've been playing around with the CS engine for a couple of months in my rather limited spare time. Although I have some knowledge of coding and gamedesign, I do lack experience and decided to gain some by creating a project using CS.

Now onto the question. I was wondering how well CS would lend it's self to world destructability as used in "Red Faction" or something similar. The Dynamic Worlds page in the manual mentions about using portals to achieve this effect, but i'm quite unsure as to how well that would work, even how it would work. I was wondering if any one had any thoughts or experience with this?

Please note that this is more out of curriosity than the actual want to implement it into my project at this time as it would not really fit into the gameplay, but I am interested in attempting it in a future project.

Cheers,
Trent

It is possible in CS to create/delete/modify objects at runtime. That will work fine. However there is one issue and that is static lighting. i.e. lightmaps and other precalculated lighting will not be easy to recalculate if the geometry changes. If you don't use static lighting (instead you only use gouraud or stencil shadows) then there is no problem.

Using portals can be done to create holes in objects like a landscape.

Greetings,
orogor

176043098 orogor@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 11:44:26 pm »

As far as i know red faction only have a predefined list ofojects you can destroy with corresponding premade broken parts and stuff, so technologicaly there s nothing impossible there for CS.
Trent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 04:53:01 pm »

As far as I know red faction had real time geometry deformation, not a load of pre-made blocks slapped together to make a "destroyable wall" or the like. Atleast when I played with the level editor I never had to make any pre-defined broken parts to have full destructability. Not to mention you could dig places in that game where you weren't meant to go. It seemed extremely "on-the-fly" to me.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: