Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 09:29:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9011 Posts in 2044 Topics by 8828 Members
Latest Member: Saikjanna
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Game Content Creation
| | |-+  Game AI
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Game AI  (Read 2735 times)
MojoX

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2005, 11:25:06 pm »

I've been looking for some good AI libraries to use in a project and came across OpenSteer.  It is a C++ library providing a framework to create steering (pathfinding) behaviors in AI.  It looks really powerful. As it is C++ I immediately wondered how well this could integrate into a Crystal Space-based development environment. I don't know if it gets much mention here or if anyone here has used it for a project.  So feel free to let me know if this is old news. 

Anyway, here is the project description:
OpenSteer is a C++ library to help construct  steering behaviors for autonomous characters in games and animation. In addition to the library, OpenSteer provides an OpenGL-based application called OpenSteerDemo which displays predefined demonstrations of steering behaviors. The user can quickly prototype, visualize, annotate and debug new steering behaviors by writing a plug-in for OpenSteerDemo.

OpenSteer provides a toolkit of steering behaviors, defined in terms of an abstract mobile agent called a "vehicle." Sample code is provided, including a simple vehicle implementation and examples of combining simple steering behaviors to produce more complex behavior. OpenSteer's classes have been designed to flexibly integrate with existing game engines by either layering or inheritance.

OpenSteerDemo's plug-in framework allows a game AI programmer to quickly prototype behaviors during game design, and to develop behaviors before the main game engine is finished. OpenSteerDemo allows the user to interactively adjust aspects of the simulation. The user can: start, stop and single step time, select the vehicle/ character/ agent of interest, adjust the camera's view and its tracking behavior.

Here is a second link for more on the project (with demo applets): http://www.red3d.com/cwr/steer/

Is there any interest in the Crystal Space community in "adopting" OpenSteer as a supported/official/preferred/recommended library?  Maybe at least including it in a list of development tools on the website?

Also, anyone know any Python programs that approximate what OpenSteer can do?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 11:39:46 pm by sunshine » Logged
flameguard01

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 11:17:44 am »

this thing looks unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........and its free to =)
caedes

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 09:47:34 pm »

i think opensteer could integrate very nicely at the CEL level, and would be a really great addition.

only last time i checked it wasn't exactly a library, but things might have evolved. please please go for it Smiley.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: