Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 03:49:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9032 Posts in 2046 Topics by 9298 Members
Latest Member: Ermacampbell
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Projects
| |-+  Project Discussion
| | |-+  So you want to make a game?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: So you want to make a game?  (Read 16729 times)
res
Develazyoper
CS Developer

View Profile Email
« on: August 19, 2005, 08:46:01 pm »

...some information about pitfalls:
http://www.umbach.ch/stuff/Assembly%202004%20-%20release%20version.ppt
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2005/7/28/235328/642

Reading recommended.
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 11:27:03 am »

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20050817/hong_01.shtml
morgul

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 09:44:10 pm »

Great articles! Really makes me take a look back, and think about different parts of my game. Thanks for posting!

--Morgul
iceeey

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 05:45:45 am »

The Art of Computer Game Design
deckerego

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 09:16:33 pm »

For me, the two best reads were:

Sloperama's game biz advice:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html

Also from Raven Software:
http://www2.ravensoft.com/getajob.htm
deckerego

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 06:53:55 am »

Also a good article about producing independent game titles:
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20050721/pfeifer_01.shtml
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 06:56:20 am by deckerego » Logged
oktal

LordOfTheDanceSettee@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 06:14:06 pm »

Remodelling RPGs for the New Millennium, excellent article about game plots and storylines by Warren Spector, creator of the System Shock and Deus Ex series.

The Tao has already created the code. I only have to find it and write it down.
NicholasFox

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 09:40:27 pm »

Since quite many people decide to make MMORPGs these days... I can only refer to a book written by the Godfather of MU*s: Bartle's Designing Virtual Worlds. Some pages gather quite enormous amounts of "Bartle Test" results which are a pretty good start to see what players you should attract and how you do that.
Frank

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 10:02:31 pm »

Ive been thinking on a game idea for about 10 years now and its not until now it think it can be done without beeing constructive (read, the tools seems to be easily available).

In search of the tools though im wondering, what do i need, other then CS, 3-D modeling and Sounds to make an working 3-D MMOG
Frank

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 03:13:38 pm »

Noone that fast and simple could explain the possibilitys and limits with CS?
PhasmatisApparatus

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 11:10:56 pm »

All very good articles. I agree 100% with all of them (or the random 50% I bothered to read wink.

Yes, my game will not be completed before I reach 100 years old (I have +3000 laziness points). Yes, the graphics will be awful enough to make everyone who ever contributed to CS want to kill me. Yes, the plot will be nonexistent.

And yes, as much as I hate to admit it, someone will probably stumble upon the same "revolutionary gameplay idea"(insert "!!!!!!!!!!1111" here) that I did before I get to do anything with it.

But you know what? I'll have fun doing it. I already am having fun just reading through the CS sources and documentation, thinking about how great my game will be (in that nice deluded fantasy world of mine, that is). I have a job. I attend a college and plan on getting an EET degree (more of a "real-world" skill than game programing, unfortunately). And if my ever-decreasing free time is "wasted" (as much as free time can be "wasted") on an obviously futile endeavor, so be it.

SOME MORE RANDOM THOUGHTS:

You know, I hear a lot of people who have no skills whatsoever say things like "I'm going to make an Operating System with all the features of Windows XP and the stability of Linux". Fine. But it never happens that way. First of all, youneed to learn to use a computer. You need to learn how computers work, deep down inside where they get really dark and scary. Then you need to read everything you can about OS development. And then u know what? You need to make about 100 versions of crap OS attempts before you'll even qualify to make a good OS.

It's the same with games. Don't tell me "We (notice how it's always "we" even if it's just some dude and his imaginary friends) have a great idea for a game and just need a coder and a graphics artist and a 3D modeler and a musician and a prject leader". Forget it. What you're going to do is make a game, and it's going to be called "Pong". Actually, scratch that, you're going to draw a dot on the screen. And then, you're going to animate that dot. Sorta like God doing all those things in those 6 days... Your going to take it one step at a time.

Well, I'm just ranting here, but you get the idea. The "Hitmen", a legendary group that developed demos and tools for Playstation programming, had the same aproach. They didn't go out and decide to create a grand RPG the likes of which had never been seen before They made Pac-Man clones and Ms. Pac-Man clones and Galaga clones and THEN they moved on to 3D demos. No 3D games mind you, the four of them couldn't even do that.

You egt what I'm saying? You (no mater how much of a megolomaniac), are never going to make anything great. Sure, it may be "great" in the perspective that one person made it, but never "great" in the TES4:Oblivion/Half-Life/Doom3 sense.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 12:13:51 am by PhasmatisApparatus » Logged
baic17

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 02:39:55 pm »

So you don't belive in Santa??

You CAN make a game as great as Oblivion/HL/Doom3 but you'll need much more time. That's why development teams are so big.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 02:46:31 pm by baic17 » Logged
Fanny333

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 08:31:42 pm »

thanks for your article

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: