Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 10:57:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9018 Posts in 2051 Topics by 8479 Members
Latest Member: Darbee3
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Associate Projects
| |-+  CEL Discussion
| | |-+  CEL Tutorial in (Gentoo) Linux
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CEL Tutorial in (Gentoo) Linux  (Read 5370 times)
Taladar

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2005, 09:08:43 pm »

I want to learn about Crystal Space to see wether it is suitable (and easy enough to use) for a game I am planning.
It should run on Linux. I tried compiling Crystalspace and CEL on Linux which worked fine.
Then I tried the tutorial and there seem to be neither make nor jamfiles included. I have not much experience with C++ beyond fixing the occasional compile error on
my Gentoo systems and reading Bjarne Stroustroups book a few years back.

My question is now: How do I compile the CEL Tutorial(s) on Linux without any GUI-development environment (I want to use emacs instead)?

I didn't install cel and CS systemwide, just used the CRYSTAL and CEL environment variables. Is there a simple way to achieve this?
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 01:09:54 am »

Did you use portage and emerge crystalspace and cel?  If you did, you might want to use crystalspace-cvs or get the CVS version, as the one that is marked stable is sub-par. 

What tutorial did you try?  Sometimes you must run ./configure to get the Jamfiles, though for a tutorial you normally wouldn't...

I use emacs, and developing with cel is easy.  I don't use the built-in emacs build stuff, so I just keep an xterm open so I can type "jam" to compile and then ./ run. 
Taladar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 02:02:28 pm »

Thanks for the quick answer.

I installed both manually from CVS as the ebuilds don't work correctly on AMD64. The celtutorial.zip I downloaded contain only a pdf and an sxw file of the tutorial text, a file switch.sh, level data and nine folders p1 to p9 with a src subfolder containing app.h, app.cpp and main.cpp and some of them behave.h and behave.cpp. I downloaded it from http://www.crystalspace3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=CEL+Documentation (under Local Ressources).

Is there a different tutorial including configure and/or a jamfile?
If not, could you post the one you use (or at least the part needed to compile and link one executable from the respective .cpp and .h files).
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 08:06:24 am »

Ah yes, I know exactly the tutorial you speak of.  I think the purpose of this tutorial is not so much to show you a working program, but to show you the code of a behavior layer and setting up CEL.  If you want to compile it, try creating a new project with the  (crystalspace prefix)share/crystalspace//build/jamtemplate/createproject.sh script and answering the questions.  So, my CS is at /usr/local/, so the script is /usr/local/share/crystalspace/build/jamtemplate/createproject.sh  If you didn't jam install cel and cs, you will have to look elsewhere in the tarball.  Then, simply delete the default files they have and add in the cel tutorial ones and it should compile just fine.   If not, post back here for help.  And in the future, you should use createproject.sh when you wish to start a new project using CS and CEL.
Taladar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 01:38:53 pm »

Thanks. This script was exactly what I was looking for. Although the tutorial does not yet run (segfaults) I believe I can handle it from here as the hard (and boring) part was the build process and that works now.

Edit: Works with --enable-debug.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 02:53:33 pm by Taladar » Logged
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 07:01:27 pm »

Great.  Glad to hear it!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: