Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 05:21:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9005 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8265 Members
Latest Member: Cindyroome
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Associate Projects
| |-+  CrystalBlend Discussion
| | |-+  python based 3d
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: python based 3d  (Read 5889 times)
BerndWill

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2005, 10:37:44 pm »

Hello,

as I understand CrystalBlend, it exports the .blend file and uses the Crystal engine to display and run the game. But what about the python scripts inside the .blend file ?
a) Are they interpreted during runtime as well ?
b) Is there a chance to import the .blend file in a pyton program using the Crystal engine (import cspace) to render the scene ?

Thanks for information on this
Bernd
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 07:40:05 am »

Hello,

as I understand CrystalBlend, it exports the .blend file and uses the Crystal engine to display and run the game. But what about the python scripts inside the .blend file ?
a) Are they interpreted during runtime as well ?
b) Is there a chance to import the .blend file in a pyton program using the Crystal engine (import cspace) to render the scene ?

Thanks for information on this
Bernd

Not yet. Python support is planned but when this happens it will NOT be compatible with the python scripts that are now used by GameBlender as the python scripts will have to talk to CEL/CS instead of GameBlender API.

About b) that will be possible in the future too.

Greetings,
Bernd

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 03:28:58 pm »

Are there any python bindings available for CrystalSpace ?

Thanks for the information
Bernd
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 03:34:15 pm »

Are there any python bindings available for CrystalSpace ?

Thanks for the information
Bernd

Yes.

Greetings,
Bernd

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 10:27:08 pm »

where can I find them ?

Regards
Bernd
Bernd Will

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 10:37:17 pm »

... found them inside the CVS files. But there is no binary version to be installed as python module.

According to the source of the python example (tutorial0.py), I would have to import a module called "cspace":

where can I get a binary version of this module (i don't have access to C++ and just want to stay with python) ?

Thanks again
Bernd
Bernd

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 10:46:22 pm »

ok, found cspace.py as well; it seems to be a swig binding for the CS engine.

But where do I get the CS binaries, that this cspace.py is trying to call ?

Hasn't anyone built a binary CS package for python yet ?

Thanks
Bernd
sunshine
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 01:26:20 am »

The Crystal Space manual for the CVS version contains a HOWTO explaining how to build and use the Python bindings:

http://www.crystalspace3d.org/docs/online/manual/cs_4.19.4.php
gorgan_almighty

keith_rules_ok@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 11:55:15 am »

Python support is planned but when this happens it will NOT be compatible with the python scripts that are now used by GameBlender as the python scripts will have to talk to CEL/CS instead of GameBlender API.
Why not?? Surely it would be easy enough to emulate the GameBlender API??  I know I could do it in python if I really wanted to, but it would be much better to do it behind the scenes.  Re-writing all the python scripts in a typical blender game is NOT an option.

Keith.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 12:00:35 pm »

Python support is planned but when this happens it will NOT be compatible with the python scripts that are now used by GameBlender as the python scripts will have to talk to CEL/CS instead of GameBlender API.
Why not?? Surely it would be easy enough to emulate the GameBlender API??  I know I could do it in python if I really wanted to, but it would be much better to do it behind the scenes.  Re-writing all the python scripts in a typical blender game is NOT an option.

Keith.

It can probably be done but it is not what I'm going to concentrate on initially. Also keep in mind that when the CrystalBlend project was started, compatibility was never a goal. We try to be as compatible as possible but if it means sacrificing certain things then we will very quickly break that.

Greetings,
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: