Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 11:34:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9018 Posts in 2051 Topics by 8504 Members
Latest Member: Colleencoffey
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  whoa...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: whoa...  (Read 4558 times)
Ben

Email
« on: August 28, 2005, 01:25:23 am »

I downloaded the 29 MB Zip file... but I don't know what to do?! Is there some kind of installer I can get. The zip and everything seems to be extremly slow. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Ben
dingobloo
Idle Extrordinare.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 01:29:07 am »

Which 28 meg zip file, and what do you want an installer for?
Usually a sdk implys that you will need to compile something for development  at least.. unless you want just the applications or libraries to run something else.
Ben

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 01:30:49 am »

I don't know, I just want to make stuff with crystal space. I didn't want the Source Code (I assume thats what I got)

I want some kind of installer/zip file for crystal space (just crystal space, that I can run and use without compiling... and stuff... or whatever)
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 08:29:57 pm »

I don't know, I just want to make stuff with crystal space. I didn't want the Source Code (I assume thats what I got)

I want some kind of installer/zip file for crystal space (just crystal space, that I can run and use without compiling... and stuff... or whatever)

To make games with Crystal Space you need a compiler and you need to program yourselves.

Greetings,
shukrallah

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 01:21:06 am »

So, will there ever be a release that you don't have to compile?

EDIT: I decided to register...

Actually, I was thinking---can I just compile it once then it will be a working program? I have the MinGW software and WinXP.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 01:24:37 am by shukrallah » Logged
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 05:30:14 am »

So, will there ever be a release that you don't have to compile?

EDIT: I decided to register...

Actually, I was thinking---can I just compile it once then it will be a working program? I have the MinGW software and WinXP.

You can compile it once and then use it. Note that using Crystal Space means compiling your own program with Crystal Space. There are a few demo apps and tools included with CS but it mainly is a set of plugins and libraries.

Greetings,
shukrallah

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 09:58:43 pm »

I think I am starting to understand. Sorta. So, I don't really compile Crystal Space by itself, I compile it with a game I have made (or a demo) and then I can run the game. So basically Crystal Space isn't an editor, its pretty much just background code, right? I thought it was actually a game editor, like Blender can be, or GameMaker.

So, I should download the Current CS Snapshot for best results, right?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 10:16:02 pm »

I think I am starting to understand. Sorta. So, I don't really compile Crystal Space by itself, I compile it with a game I have made (or a demo) and then I can run the game. So basically Crystal Space isn't an editor, its pretty much just background code, right? I thought it was actually a game editor, like Blender can be, or GameMaker.

So, I should download the Current CS Snapshot for best results, right?

Crystal Space is a 3D engine which means it is basically a set of libraries that can be used to make 3D games. You have to compile Crystal Space because you'll need the plugins and libraries when you start developing your own application. Also there are a few demo apps included with CS (like walktest) which you can run to test things.

The current CS snapshot is working well so I can recommend that.

Greetings,
shukrallah

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 01:24:10 am »

Ok cool. But now I have a problem- Why is it taking like 5 minutes to load the zip file? I have 512 RAM, and an intel celeron 2.8 Ghz. The whole system starts to slow down and almost lock up, untill the ZIP loads. I can't even unzip it.
morgul

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 01:45:54 am »

Well, what program are you using to unzip it? I've found that windows XP's default 'Compressed Folders" can be slow unzipping large files. So, if it's not working, I'd try 7zip (do a google search for the website.)

--morgul
shukrallah

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 02:23:26 am »

I tried it with Pak Scape, and it worked fine. I am in the process of getting the files I need.
shukrallah

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 02:38:49 am »

I realise my MinGW version was 2 something, so I uninstalled that. Will MinGW-4.1.1.exe (837 KBs) work with CS?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 05:22:18 am »

I realise my MinGW version was 2 something, so I uninstalled that. Will MinGW-4.1.1.exe (837 KBs) work with CS?

Probably. Never tried it myself. You also need MSYS in addition to Mingw. This is explained in the CS manual.

Greetings,
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: