Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 03:58:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9020 Posts in 2053 Topics by 8568 Members
Latest Member: Chajsay
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Projects
| |-+  WIP Projects
| | |-+  WorldBuilder
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: WorldBuilder  (Read 10442 times)
Spin

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2005, 11:16:09 pm »

Or yet another CS mapeditor project. We're determined to complete that one, though Smiley Here's a screenshot:

It's still WIP, but we've made great progress in the last weeks. We use wxWdgets2.6 for the GUI part (2.5 should work too).
Stuff like the texture mapper, the material editor, etc have only limited functionality and even more limited ergonomics at the moment, but we're working on it. Map loading and saving also works only from file system at the moment, but we'll implement a proper VFS load/save dialog.
We have one problem at the moment: The linux port. In fact we don't even know if it runs under linux. None of us is really familiar with linux coding, so we'd appreciate if someone who has more knowledge in this area could help us.
Anyone interessted in ensuring linux compatibility & writing a simple build script, please drop me a PM or reply here.
And yes, the editor will be opensource (LGPL). We'd also hand it over to the CS repository if the CS devs like it enough Wink

Anonymous CVS access
Server: ironoak.serverbox.org
Root: /cvsroot/worldbuilder
Module: worldbuilder

The project files are for MSVC7.1 (not autogenerated). To build it you need wxWidgets 2.5 or higher (I only tested it with 2.6.x) compiled as dll.

Todo list (german-english mix, not always up to date): http://ironoak.serverbox.org/ironoak/classes
Alexin

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 02:28:42 am »

It certainly looks neat. Something like this would certainly make room-creation much easier. (Blender is too complicated, the map makers people have suggested to me haven't worked on Linux, and writing the verticies and triangles by hand is a bit time consuming.) If I understood CVS a bit more than I do, I'd test out whether it works on Linux or not; unfortunately, I don't know how.
Vincent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 09:28:06 pm »

If I understood CVS a bit more than I do, I'd test out whether it works on Linux or not; unfortunately, I don't know how.

To retrieve sources from CVS, try something like this:

[vince@golem tmp]$ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@ironoak.serverbox.org:/cvsroot/worldbuilder login
Logging in to :pserver:anonymous@ironoak.serverbox.org:2401/cvsroot/worldbuilder
CVS password: just press enter (empty password)
[vince@golem tmp]$ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@ironoak.serverbox.org:/cvsroot/worldbuilder co -P worldbuilder

For general CVS information, take a look at Sourceforge help or CVSHome:
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=14033&group_id=1
http://www.nongnu.org/cvs/

Unfortunately, I can't see Makefiles or Jamfiles so I guess compiling worldbuilder on GNU/Linux is pretty hard at the moment.
One solution would be to use the createproject.sh from CS/scripts/jamtemplate/, then put and re-arrange worldbuilder source and create necessary Jamfiles.
On the other hand, there the CStudio which should already be buildable on GNU/Linux and looks pretty similar to worldbuilder:
http://cstudio.sourceforge.net/
Spin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 07:27:05 pm »

Ah sorry, forgot about my post here ^^

And yeah, that's exactly why I started this thread, we need someone who can help us on this. But thanks, I'll try your suggestions if we don't find anyone.
I worked on CStudio before, not long though Smiley
mark

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 11:38:44 am »

It will be difficult to create a file for a buildsystem until you tell us
- which targets exist (shared/static libraries, executables, other stuff)
- which dependencies exist (files that build targets and targets that depend on other targets)

Further you should say which target is linked against wxwindows or crystalspace.

Gentoo Linux ~x86, kernel 2.6.11-cko9 smp, gcc 3.4.4-r1, binutils 2.16.1, glibc 2.3.5 NPTL
CS+CEL Pseudo Stable 2005.09.03
Spin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 08:10:30 pm »

Aye, here you go Smiley

Shared libs (adapted CS plugins):
src/cs-plugins/cssaver
src/cs-plugins/gl3d-custom
src/cs-plugins/mesh/genmesh-custom/object
src/cs-plugins/mesh/genmesh-custom/persist/standard
src/cs-plugins/wxgl-custom

Executable, links against CS & wxw libs:
src (without src/cs-plugins)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 10:21:10 pm by Spin » Logged
mark

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 12:14:08 pm »

I wrote a buildfile for scons (www.scons.org) which is a python based build tool. (much better than jam in my opinion)
Save the attached file as "SConstruct" in the worldbuilder directory, install scons + python, set CRYSTAL and run scons within the worldbuilder directory.

This SConstruct doesn't work for me yet because all those crystal-includes are not found (though the compiler searches the include-directory from CS; you can verify with scons -n that the used compile commands are ok).
The reason is that you include every cs-header with #include "csfoo.h", but this is a relative path - so "csfoo.h" should be in the local directory.
You must include the cs headers with #include <csfoo.h>.
My project uses a similar scons file and we only include <crystalspace.h> in our files. It works fine and is a lot easier than the old "include cssysdef in cpp files and include hundreds of header files"-stuff.

* SConstruct.txt (2.67 KB - downloaded 387 times.)

Gentoo Linux ~x86, kernel 2.6.11-cko9 smp, gcc 3.4.4-r1, binutils 2.16.1, glibc 2.3.5 NPTL
Spin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 12:21:37 pm »

Ah nice, thanks! I'll try that and adapt the headers.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 12:27:22 pm by Spin » Logged
mark

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 02:23:32 pm »

ouch, I have made a mistake with my CRYSTAL variable. The headers are found. But there are still errors with the headerfiles (because I'm using CS 0.99, 2005.08.04?) and I guess you should continue adapting them.
Which CS version do you use? 0.98?

Spin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 04:58:42 pm »

The cs headers are alle included using <> brackets... Maybe it's the wxw headers, some of them could be included with quotes.
I'm still trying to compile cs and wxw on my system, had to upgrade gcc and all that stuff ^^
HangDude

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 06:36:41 am »

Hi!
There's VFS Open/Save Dialog in CStudio (cstudio.sf.net) you might be interested in. It's not perfect but it works quite well. Seems I really have to get back working on cstudio Wink nice work you've got there! phil
Spin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 10:24:08 am »

Hm, wxgl still fails... Need to play around with my config a bit further as it seems.
Tell me if you want write access Wink

Thanks HangDude, I've seen your vfs explorer, seems nice... Probably we'll do a combo thing for vfs & normal fs.
Spin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005, 07:29:55 pm »

I tried it with the createproject.sh as I failed to tell scons how to compile it with wxw support.
At least the errors are reduced to a few dozen now... Probably it'll work in a few months Wink
I'm compiling it on a server so no X environment to test it. I'll post it here as soon as it compiles fine.
Spin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 10:41:24 pm »

It should compile fine now... Can someone please test it?
ThePokerface him self

Email
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2005, 01:19:27 pm »

i can test ...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: