Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 01:58:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9008 Posts in 2046 Topics by 8329 Members
Latest Member: Rachelsantiago
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Project Development
| |-+  Feature Requests
| | |-+  ability to use other graphic engines
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ability to use other graphic engines  (Read 12391 times)
Icy Manipulator

Email
« on: September 03, 2005, 12:13:10 am »

i would like it if there were a way to use ogre or irrlicht with crystalspace.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 06:11:48 am »

i would like it if there were a way to use ogre or irrlicht with crystalspace.

Why would you want to do that? That's like saying is there a way to drive both a Toyota and a Volkswagen at the same time. You can only use one 3D engine at the same time. There is no point in trying to use several at once.

Greetings,
tony

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 09:28:06 am »

Well, not sure about irrlicht, but for OGRE, I think it should be use as a graphic engine, since that's what OGRE is.

Will a partical creator be in CS like the one that's in OGRE ?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 09:30:53 am »

Well, not sure about irrlicht, but for OGRE, I think it should be use as a graphic engine, since that's what OGRE is.

I don't know. What does the particle creator in OGRE do? Note that we have a partedit tool in CS too. Did you try that? It is not that impressive but it works.

Greetings,
azuron

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 09:48:23 am »

The graphics rendering system is the core of a 3d engine and it has been deeply integrated with the engine.
So it's not so easy to extract it and replace with another gfx system.
The graphics system of CS is powerful enough.
Not like the case of network middleware. One implementation of CS is based on HawkNL but it can also be replaced with other netlibs, such as Raknet, I think.

tony

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 12:44:28 pm »

I know there's a export script to OGRE, I don't think a CS to OGRE converter will be that differcult.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 01:23:07 pm »

I know there's a export script to OGRE, I don't think a CS to OGRE converter will be that differcult.

And what would be the point exactly?

What export script to OGRE do you mean? There is no script to export CS map files to OGRE.

Greetings,
tony

Email
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 06:59:00 am »

No, I mean there's a Blender script to export to OGRE, the purpose it would serve is to convert CS rendering engine to OGRE graphic engine, if a CS plug-in converter was ever to be created. 
mark

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 08:14:03 am »

you want to export the CS engine with blender to ogre??  I don't understand what exactly you want...
Do you want a csplugin that renders graphics with ogre or do you just want a fileformat-converter to convert a cs xml-mapfile into a format ogre understands?

Gentoo Linux ~x86, kernel 2.6.11-cko9 smp, gcc 3.4.4-r1, binutils 2.16.1, glibc 2.3.5 NPTL
CS+CEL Pseudo Stable 2005.09.03
tony

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 04:59:44 am »

I think you miss the point, A way for Crystalspace to use Orge as a rendering engine or graphic engine.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 06:23:26 am »

I think you miss the point, A way for Crystalspace to use Orge as a rendering engine or graphic engine.

There would be no benefit to that. CS already has a renderer which is suited perfectly for CS needs (as it is made for that). OGRE wouldn't be a perfect match and making an adaptor is a big job.

Greetings,
genjix

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 09:47:44 pm »

But say crystalspace used the ogre rendering engine... Wouldn't it in the future divert people away from having to spend development time on the graphics engine? Since ogre is suited specifically to 3D graphics I also think it does its job better than the lagging cs renderer does.
genjix

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 09:51:41 pm »

Here are the assumptions in the above post:
1) plugin interface takes less time than rendering engine to update
2) ogre is better than cs for 3d graphics (which seems to be the consensus among developers)
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 05:28:54 am »

But say crystalspace used the ogre rendering engine... Wouldn't it in the future divert people away from having to spend development time on the graphics engine? Since ogre is suited specifically to 3D graphics I also think it does its job better than the lagging cs renderer does.

Hmm... 'lagging cs renderer'? What do you mean by that?

And no, the ogre rendering would not at all be better for CS. On the contrary. The CS renderer is made specifically for CS so it works best for CS. If we were to use OGRE for rendering we would have to make an adaptor between CS and OGRE which would reduce efficiency again.

Greetings,
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: