Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 07:38:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9009 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8358 Members
Latest Member: Rodgerkline
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Project Development
| |-+  Bug Reports
| | |-+  CS buildsystem has some issues...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CS buildsystem has some issues...  (Read 6623 times)
mark

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2005, 02:06:36 am »

There are some issues I found in the snaphsot 2005.01.25.
I didn't find changes in the mailinglists so these issues surely are in the latest cvs-version too.

1) "jam install" compiles csapps and plugins before installing - why??
When I want to make "jam libs && jam install" only I don't need plugins and I really don't need apps. It's a huge waste of time and energy.
2) "jam install" does not copy libs to prefix-dir when used configure --enable-shared
3) After "jam install" none of the apps works. All apps only work when they are left in the CS directory or they won't find their config (e.g. vfs.cfg) or data (e.g. mapfiles).
The config-files will be installed to prefix/etc but CS expects them in prefix/lib/crystalspace.

Setting $CRYSTAL doesn't help in any case.

=> configure --prefix doesn't work
=> jam install doesn't work

Gentoo Linux ~x86, kernel 2.6.11-cko9 smp, gcc 3.4.4-r1, binutils 2.16.1, glibc 2.3.5 NPTL
CS+CEL Pseudo Stable 2005.09.03
mark

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 10:24:02 pm »

still broken in CVS 2005.08.12 wink

Gentoo Linux ~x86, kernel 2.6.11-cko9 smp, gcc 3.4.4-r1, binutils 2.16.1, glibc 2.3.5 NPTL
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 03:14:13 pm »

1) "jam install" compiles csapps and plugins before installing - why??
When I want to make "jam libs && jam install" only I don't need plugins and I really don't need apps. It's a huge waste of time and energy.
This is by design. jam install installs everything, and it cannot detect which parts you have manually compiled.
Apart from this, you do need the plugins.. otherwise you won't be able to use the lib for anything really Wink

2) "jam install" does not copy libs to prefix-dir when used configure --enable-shared
Compiling the libraries as shared libs is work in progress, not tested really and probably broken (this includes the installation of them)

3) After "jam install" none of the apps works. All apps only work when they are left in the CS directory or they won't find their config (e.g. vfs.cfg) or data (e.g. mapfiles).
The config-files will be installed to prefix/etc but CS expects them in prefix/lib/crystalspace.

Setting $CRYSTAL doesn't help in any case.

=> configure --prefix doesn't work
=> jam install doesn't work
This however paritally sounds like a bug. Maybe you could reserach and provide a patch? Otherwise it will probably not be fixed until next release.
During the development most/all of the CS developers don't install but keep CS in the build directory (and set $CRYSTAL when running other things) so jam install breaks every now and then. Before a release it is usualy fixed so that it works for the releases though.

-M
mark

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 04:20:27 pm »

This is by design. jam install installs everything, and it cannot detect which parts you have manually compiled.
Apart from this, you do need the plugins.. otherwise you won't be able to use the lib for anything really Wink
ok, but though it's usefull to skip building the apps.
Because jam cannot see what I have manually compiled, wouldn't that justify three new targets "appinstall", "libinstall" and "pluginstall"?
jam install makes those three targets then. Just an idea.
(Maybe I have libs and plugins installed yet but want to replace the libs, then jam install would make everything.)

This is how I prepare CS for my project  within a shellscript with avoiding the compilation of the apps:
Code:
cp mk/jam/install.jam mk/jam/install.BACKUP
sed -e "s#INSTALLTARGETS = install_bin install_plugin install_lib install_include#INSTALLTARGETS = install_plugin install_lib install_include#" mk/jam/install.BACKUP > mk/jam/install.jam
./configure --prefix="$PREFIX" --sysconfdir="$PREFIX"/lib --without-python --without-perl --without-java --without-wx
jam $J cs-config plugins libs masterheaders
jam $J install
cp cs-config "$PREFIX"/bin
jam clean
mv mk/jam/install.BACKUP mk/jam/install.jam
I think that most of the projects don't need the apps, because they are for testing/learning/demonstration purposes only; not for distribution with their projects.

Compiling the libraries as shared libs is work in progress, not tested really and probably broken (this includes the installation of them)
Compiling works for me (though I'm not able to test the shared libs because I use CEL too and that won't compile with CS' shared libs).

This however paritally sounds like a bug. Maybe you could reserach and provide a patch? Otherwise it will probably not be fixed until next release.
During the development most/all of the CS developers don't install but keep CS in the build directory (and set $CRYSTAL when running other things) so jam install breaks every now and then. Before a release it is usualy fixed so that it works for the releases though.
I tried to fix that a half year ago but jamfiles are too cryptic for me: I tried to find out how to use jam at the beginning of my project, but I didn't understand that system/the docs (that's why I use scons in my project), so I cannot help you with jam-issues, sorry.

sunshine
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 06:20:05 pm »

Since its inception, the CS Jam system (like the make system before it), supports these additional installation targets:

install_bin
install_plugin
install_lib
install_include
install_data
install_config
install_doc

You can use any combination of these instead of typical 'install' if you want to be more selective about what is built and installed.

As for applications not working once installed, there have been no other reports of this nature. Are you sure that you cleared your CRYSTAL variable before running those application after installation?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: